Unexpected error while indexing monitoring document with 7.0

I'm trying to update to 7.0.0, and I'm getting lots of these:

[2019-04-11T09:05:47,285][WARN ][o.e.x.m.e.l.LocalExporter] [elk.nwra.com] unexpected error while indexing monitoring document
org.elasticsearch.xpack.monitoring.exporter.ExportException: [.monitoring-es-7-2019.04.11] IndexCreationException[failed to create index [.monitoring-es-7-2019.04.11]]; nested: ValidationException[Validation Failed: 1: this action would add [2] total shards, but this cluster currently has [2683]/[1000] maximum shards open;];
        at org.elasticsearch.xpack.monitoring.exporter.local.LocalBulk.lambda$throwExportException$2(LocalBulk.java:128) ~[x-pack-monitoring-7.0.0.jar:7.0.0]

I know I have too many shards, and I have:

elasticsearch.yml:cluster.max_shards_per_node: 10000

to try to deal with it temporarily - but it seems that this setting isn't taking effect, at least not for this application?

For now I've disabled monitoring with:

xpack.monitoring.enabled: false

in elasticsearch.yml and that has gotten rid of the flood of errors.

But now kibana will not start for the same reason:

kibana[28944]: FATAL  [index_creation_exception] failed to create index [.kibana_5]
\"validation_exception\",\"reason\":\"Validation Failed: 1: this action would add [2] total shards, but this cluster currently has [2683]/[1000] maximum shards open;\"}

This is a known bug.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.