Upgrade 0.20 to 1.0


(GX) #1

Hi All

it seems I have been slacking on keeping up do date with updates, will it
be possible to upgrade a 0.22.1 cluster to 1.0 or is it better to do it in
two steps i.e. 0.90.x first

Thanks

GX

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/745d1173-2045-4c69-83fc-95e9e078873c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Mark Walkom) #2

You will probably want to upgrade to 0.90.0 first.
v1.0 is still RC so if this is production you might want to hold off.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 16:21, GX mailme.gx@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All

it seems I have been slacking on keeping up do date with updates, will it
be possible to upgrade a 0.22.1 cluster to 1.0 or is it better to do it in
two steps i.e. 0.90.x first

Thanks

GX

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/745d1173-2045-4c69-83fc-95e9e078873c%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624YymLHUkN8mNro5E5osVLyFRAvaYC4C%2BTZq9%2Bh0RBey8w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(GX) #3

Hi Mark

Thanks for the seedy reply, I was not thinking of an immediate upgrade
since it needs to be scheduled tested etc, but rather considering skipping
90 since 1.0 is so close to release and doing a one step upgrade instead of
a 2 step so rather than do an upgrade now then again in a few months just
go strait for 1.0 when its final release is out, my main concern is if its
possible to skip 90 in production, of course testing will be done however
it never matches to real word circumstances since replicating a test
environment with 4 nodes and gigabytes of data may in theory be possible
but actual load and results are difficult do.
I suppose in the extreme case we can just do a fresh install of 1.0 and
reindex all the data it just means several hours of 'downtime'

so I guess the real question is which route is easiest as opposed to safest
0.20 -> 0.90 -> 1.0
0.20 -> 1.0
nuke and pave strait to 1.0

GX

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:42:11 AM UTC+2, Mark Walkom wrote:

You will probably want to upgrade to 0.90.0 first.
v1.0 is still RC so if this is production you might want to hold off.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 16:21, GX <mail...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi All

it seems I have been slacking on keeping up do date with updates, will it
be possible to upgrade a 0.22.1 cluster to 1.0 or is it better to do it in
two steps i.e. 0.90.x first

Thanks

GX

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/745d1173-2045-4c69-83fc-95e9e078873c%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/eb82d6a6-dc7f-489d-859b-31e712891a2e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Mark Walkom) #4

The easiest is to do an upgrade directly to v1.0, but I highly doubt if
that will even work after the upgrade due to the number of changes between
0.2X, 0.90.X and 1.0.0.
And frankly, you'd be insane to consider it if you wanted to keep your data.

If you can export your data to disk, then reimport/reindex it, that might
be an easier option for you.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: markw@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 17:20, GX mailme.gx@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Mark

Thanks for the seedy reply, I was not thinking of an immediate upgrade
since it needs to be scheduled tested etc, but rather considering skipping
90 since 1.0 is so close to release and doing a one step upgrade instead of
a 2 step so rather than do an upgrade now then again in a few months just
go strait for 1.0 when its final release is out, my main concern is if its
possible to skip 90 in production, of course testing will be done however
it never matches to real word circumstances since replicating a test
environment with 4 nodes and gigabytes of data may in theory be possible
but actual load and results are difficult do.
I suppose in the extreme case we can just do a fresh install of 1.0 and
reindex all the data it just means several hours of 'downtime'

so I guess the real question is which route is easiest as opposed to
safest
0.20 -> 0.90 -> 1.0
0.20 -> 1.0
nuke and pave strait to 1.0

GX

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:42:11 AM UTC+2, Mark Walkom wrote:

You will probably want to upgrade to 0.90.0 first.
v1.0 is still RC so if this is production you might want to hold off.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 16:21, GX mail...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All

it seems I have been slacking on keeping up do date with updates, will
it be possible to upgrade a 0.22.1 cluster to 1.0 or is it better to do it
in two steps i.e. 0.90.x first

Thanks

GX

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/745d1173-2045-4c69-83fc-95e9e078873c%
40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/eb82d6a6-dc7f-489d-859b-31e712891a2e%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEM624buteFywOBeouEWzCq1J6i%2B1A9ZRpaJEK5KoaQbPLc0MQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(GX) #5

Thanks for the clarification Mark

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:04:43 AM UTC+2, Mark Walkom wrote:

The easiest is to do an upgrade directly to v1.0, but I highly doubt if
that will even work after the upgrade due to the number of changes between
0.2X, 0.90.X and 1.0.0.
And frankly, you'd be insane to consider it if you wanted to keep your
data.

If you can export your data to disk, then reimport/reindex it, that might
be an easier option for you.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com <javascript:>
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 17:20, GX <mail...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi Mark

Thanks for the seedy reply, I was not thinking of an immediate upgrade
since it needs to be scheduled tested etc, but rather considering skipping
90 since 1.0 is so close to release and doing a one step upgrade instead of
a 2 step so rather than do an upgrade now then again in a few months just
go strait for 1.0 when its final release is out, my main concern is if its
possible to skip 90 in production, of course testing will be done however
it never matches to real word circumstances since replicating a test
environment with 4 nodes and gigabytes of data may in theory be possible
but actual load and results are difficult do.
I suppose in the extreme case we can just do a fresh install of 1.0 and
reindex all the data it just means several hours of 'downtime'

so I guess the real question is which route is easiest as opposed to
safest
0.20 -> 0.90 -> 1.0
0.20 -> 1.0
nuke and pave strait to 1.0

GX

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:42:11 AM UTC+2, Mark Walkom wrote:

You will probably want to upgrade to 0.90.0 first.
v1.0 is still RC so if this is production you might want to hold off.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: ma...@campaignmonitor.com
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 4 February 2014 16:21, GX mail...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All

it seems I have been slacking on keeping up do date with updates, will
it be possible to upgrade a 0.22.1 cluster to 1.0 or is it better to do it
in two steps i.e. 0.90.x first

Thanks

GX

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/745d1173-2045-4c69-83fc-95e9e078873c%
40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/eb82d6a6-dc7f-489d-859b-31e712891a2e%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/f356527b-239c-4bdc-be13-13e4aa915fd0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(system) #6