Upgrading to 5.0.0 and plugins

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade ES from 2.3 to 5.0 via RPM on a RHEL server. I followed the instructions and installed via RPM, but when I try to upgrade the plugins, I'm getting the following error:

$ sudo bin/elasticsearch-plugin install analysis-icu

-> Downloading analysis-icu from elastic
[=================================================] 100%   
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Plugin [analysis-icu] is incompatible with Elasticsearch [5.0.0]. Was designed for version [2.3.3]
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:108)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:370)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.jarHellCheck(InstallPluginCommand.java:446)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.verify(InstallPluginCommand.java:427)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.install(InstallPluginCommand.java:469)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:207)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.InstallPluginCommand.execute(InstallPluginCommand.java:190)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.SettingCommand.execute(SettingCommand.java:54)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:96)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:69)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:96)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:62)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginCli.main(PluginCli.java:42)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I missing a configuration somewhere?

I will note that when I installed ES 5.0.0, I got the following warning:

1:elasticsearch          warning: /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml created as /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml.rpmnew
warning: /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch created as /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch.rpmnew

I then manually renamed the new files to their original names. Not sure that screwed things up.

It doesn't look like this plugin has been updated for 5.0 - https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-analysis-icu

Oh no, I can't read. https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/plugins/current/analysis-icu.html should be where to look.

Yea the plugin should be updated. I downloaded and installed a fresh version of ES 5.0.0 on my local machine and installed the plugins just to make sure, and it worked fine. So it's something with the configuration of this upgrade or the way I did it that is wrong, but I can't figure out why.

I think I found the issue. When doing an upgrade from an older version of ES, it seems like ALL plugins from the old version must be removed before new ones with the new version can be installed.

Yep, that is correct.