Upgrading version problem

Hi,
Am upgrading elasticsearch 1.4.2 to 1.5.2
For that I have done

1. copied the config file of 1.4.2 and pasted that in 1.5.2...
    when I have seen the indices using...(in 1.5.2)
    PUT _cat/indices?v--- This is showing indices which are there in other host with same cluster name..But not showing the data in my local host..

when am looking for the indexes in 1.5.2, I am unable to see the indexes which I have created in 1.4.2 .
So how to upgrade to higher version by keeping the indexes and data as it is which were there in old version

How did you do the initial install, and how did you do the upgrade?

I downloaded elasticsearch 1.5.2 and copied the config file of 1.4.2 to 1.5.2 then I executed the elasticsearch batch file which is there in bin folder. Then I verified the indices in sense..

But did you use the deb/rpm or the zip file?

I downloaded the zip file and did this process

Hi Its working fine I have not included data folder in new version and started that created this problem. Again I unzip the file and included both config and data folders in new version and started now its showing my old indices.

Thank you.

ES stores data (ie the indices) under $ES_HOME/data for a zip file.

$ES_HOME will be where ever you unzipped the directory, which means it changes if you extract a new version. You should set path.data to something custom and outside your unzipped directory structure if you want to persist this data.

This is really useful, I will do that thanks for your immediate response..