Using AppSearch relevance tuning with Elasticsearch search API for App Search

Hi,
I have created a App Search engine, which is based on existing Elasticsearch index.
Can I use Elasticsearch search API for App Search (Elasticsearch search API for App Search | App Search documentation [8.13] | Elastic) with my custom Relevance tuning/Synonyms/etc configured in the engine? It looks like this configuration works only for Search API and is ignored in GET <enterprise-search-base-url>/api/as/v1/engines/<engine>/elasticsearch/_search method.

I would like to know if it is somehow possible to use regular elasticsearch query syntax together with App Search engine configuration?

Also can I somehow retrieve original document source when using Search API GET <ENTERPRISE_SEARCH_BASE_URL>/api/as/v1/engines/<engine_name>/search?

Hi @vva thanks for the question.

There's not really a good way to do this, but there is one potential workaround.

First, you can use the explain API to get the current raw Elasticsearch query that App search creates. This can be a good starting point to use configuration like relevance tuning etc. You can then send in Elasticsearch queries, either directly in Elasticsearch or via the Elasticsearch search API.

Curations and Synonyms will not work out of the box, but you can set up Elasticsearch synonyms and query rules if needed.

Thank you for the reply. Looks like this workaround will be the solution. It has some performance overhead and code complexity drawbacks, but in general I tested it and it works.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.