Evaluate the quality of ranked search results in Enterprise App Search

Hello,

I’m trying to find a way to validate search results for different queries. I found search-rank-eval API (Ranking evaluation API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.12] | Elastic), which seems to do what I need. The issue is that I’m using Elastic Enterprise App Search, where I’m configuring relevance tuning, curations, and synonyms in App Search, but these changes don’t appear in search-rank-eval API.

I believe this is because search-rank-eval API accesses the Elasticsearch index directly, and my configurations are one level up, at the App Search. I’m not sure if this is correct, and if so, my question is, is there a way to use something similar to search-rank-eval when using App Search?

Hi @jeferson-telia you're right that our instructions on tuning app search relevance don't include using the rank_eval API.

You can pull the Elasticsearch query that App search is running directly via the explain API - it's quite a large query, but could that work as input to judgment list backed relevance tuning?

1 Like

Thanks Kathleen,
It works just as you say, first I execute the search_explain query, and I add the query result to the _rank_eval query, that brings the results according to what I configured in App Search.

Thanks a lot!!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.