Using tiebreakers in Kibana Discover or Logs

Hello everyone,
I am regularly ingesting a pair of events with the same timestamp. If they are shown in the incorrect order, it's very confusing for the user.

Used versions are logstash-7.9.1 , kibana-7.9.1 and elasticsearch-7.9.1.

I added this ruby-code in the logstash-config, which succesfully adds a seq - number.

Now my question is how I can use the tiebreaking mechanism to control which events are show first. I played with Stack Managment -> Advanced Settings -> context:tieBreakerFields. I tried "_doc" , "_doc, seq" , "seq, _doc " but to no avail. A kibana restart was performed after every change.

Getting the ordering right in the logs-feature from x-pack would be nice too, but since the settings is labled "Discover" I think it is easier to get it working there.

Sample-Data:

With friendly regards,

MAE

Hi and welcome to our community!
So the context:tieBreakerFields is just used by the functionality of Discover that shows you documents in context, you can access it here:

You can sort by it in Discover by clicking on the seqheader, then it's added to the list of fields that the records are sorted by.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Matthias

1 Like

Thanks alot for the clarification,

after manually sorting by seq, it works👍
If the exact ordering is required, using the view surrounding feature seems usefull.
I am happy with this solution, thank you!
Still wondering wether someone has found a solution for the same problem in the X-pack - logs application. I tried the suggestions from this thread.

Thank you,
MAE

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.