Vega charts - please please give us meaningful examples!

Apologies, but I am cutting a VERY frustrated figure here.....

Quite simply, I am trying to pull data out of our index, aggregate it up, then render into a Series Line Chart in Vega - Kibana 6.6

I don't see why it would not work, but documentation is severely lacking in my opinion. - and I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this.

I appreciate that the Vega visualisation is experimental, but I just cannot find anything to demonstrate it.

At the moment, Vega seems a lot of hard work, to get very little..........

Hello,

We understand that for sure. We are working on a plan to make vega a core feature.

Hopefully these two links should help.

https://www.elastic.co/webinars/vega-plugin-custom-visualizations-with-kibana

cc @nyuriks

Thanks,
Bhavya

Hi Paul,

while we'll still provide more documentation in the future for Vega, it's not intended to be a simple to use solution. Vega visualizations are mostly meant for very advanced users, mostly also users already familiar with writing Vega visualizations. We will provide some additional help in the future how to load data from Elasticsearch (the only part which is not standard Vega), but we're not planning of providing any additional Vega documentation, but refer to the official vega documentation for showing how to use Vega itself.

If you want to see a couple of examples, you can also e.g. load the "Flight data sample set" which includes some Vega visualizations, which you can use as examples how to get started.

Cheers,
Tim

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.