Vega - Request must contain a kbn-xsrf header

I am new to Kibana. I hope I am using all the terminology in the right way.
I am currently working on a Vega viz and I am getting a weird error message.
It comes when I do a search query to elastic API. It says:

    statusCode	400
    error	"Bad Request"
    message	"Request must contain a kbn-xsrf header."

The above message is the response from Elasticsearch.
I tried adding a kbn-xsrf header in the API-query:

    url: {
        %context%: true 
        %timefield%: ts 
        index: fra2020
          kbn-xsrf: true
        body: {
          size: 87000,
          _source: ['ip']

I found in the documentation that the kbn-xsrf must be set to true. But it didn’t do the trick.
Any help or pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.



Where are you seeing this message please? And are your other kibana visualizations working fine?


I've had to add that header when making custom plugins and sending data to ES but never in Vega.

What version of Kibana is this?

What do you get if you do the below?

    url: {
        index: fra2020

Just looked at the request headers from a Vega Viz Elastic API call and it doesn't pass kbn-xsrf in.

:method: POST
:path: /elasticsearch/kibana_sample_data_logs/_search
:scheme: https
accept: */*
accept-encoding: gzip, deflate, br
accept-language: en-US,en;q=0.9
content-length: 269
content-type: application/json
cookie: sid=
kbn-version: 7.8.0
sec-fetch-dest: empty
sec-fetch-mode: cors
sec-fetch-site: same-origin
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36

Where are you seeing this error? Do you know how to see the request in your browser dev tools?


I see the error when I open the web developer inspector in Firefox.
I hope I do as described in the docs.

I use the "networking tab" to see the JSON file that localhost is sending back to me.
The screenshot below shows how I go about debugging:

When I double-click on the file "_search" i get the following response from Firefox:

Skärmavbild 2020-08-06 kl. 07.57.18

I believe that the file "_search" is where my data should be stored.

My other visualizations that don't rely on Vega are working.
Just to make matters even weirder i noticed the following:
I have a Vega-lite visualization that worked and suddenly stopped working.
I get the same error.

Kibana version: 7.8.1
Elasticsearch version: 7.8.1


Now I see the error of my ways.
When I click the "Reponse" tab I see the actual JSON response.
And there I see the result that I am looking for. My API-request is working fine.

Thank you bhavyarm and aaron_nimocks for pointing me in the right direction.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.