Visualizations using time only not date

I'm looking to create a graph that only uses the time data from my Date field which after going through a csv filter shows as

February 28th 2017, 14:43:29.000

An being being able to see the time a user logs in over the period of a month.

I'm sure i read that this can be done using a scripted field but unsure where to even start

@Pokecallum you can use the following Script to create a Scripted Field to extract the time from a Date field:

def dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("HH:mm:ss");
return dateFormat.format(doc['utc_time'].value);

Just in case you haven't created a scripted field before, to get there you'll click Management -> Index Patterns -> Scripted Fields -> Add Scripted Field as highlighted below:

1 Like

Hi thanks, although I get a runtime error when trying to use this. I've been trying to add the time field by itself so then Ill be able to use the range aggregation to get what I want. Would you happen to know the reason why my convert for hour => integer doesnt work. but size does ?

input {
    file {
        type => "csv"
        path => "/home/callum/Desktop/test2/*.csv"
        start_position => beginning
        sincedb_path => "/dev/null"
    }
}
filter {
        csv {
            separator => ","       
            columns => ["Date","User","Size","File Type","Device Class","Device Model","File Name","Time"]
        }

date {
            match => ["Date", "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssZZ"]

}
        mutate {
            rename => {"Date" => "Time"}
            add_field => {"[hour]" => "%{+HH:mm:ss:z}"}
            convert => { "hour" => "integer" }
            convert => { "Size" => "integer" }
            remove_field => ["message","path","host","type"]
            lowercase => ["Date","User","Size","File Type","Device Class","Device Model","File Name"]
        }

}
    output {
            elasticsearch {
                hosts => "http://localhost:9200"
                index => "a"
            }

}

@Pokecallum I failed to note that you'll want to replace the field that you're looking to take the Time from in the sample script that I posted, does the following Script work?

def dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("HH:mm:ss");
return dateFormat.format(doc['Date'].value);

You can definitely do it on the logstash side as well, what are you seeing when you try to use your provided logstash configuration?

"User" => "callum",
        "Size" => 61751,
   "File Type" => "xlsx",
        "Time" => "2017-02-25T13:19:03Z",
  "@timestamp" => 2017-02-25T13:19:03.000Z,
"Device Class" => "removable",
"Device Model" => "sandisk cruzer blade usb device, disk drive, (standard disk drives)",
        "hour" => "13",
    "@version" => "1",
   "File Name" => "j:my spreadsheet.xlsx"

Unfortuantly Im getting the same error with that script, although I think its probably me using it in the wrong way.
I'd much rather do it through logstash, as I understand that more although Im not getting any errors with my config.

@Pokecallum completely understand your preference to use Logstash to do so. I'd recommend posting this question in the Logstash category though, if that's the route you'd like to go.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.