Visualize zipcodes on Kibana Maps

Hello everyone,

I have csv data with information about users and in particular their zip code.
I wanted to know how it was possible to display these zip codes on Kibana Maps knowing that I don't have the longitude and latitude information for these zip codes.
I integrated a csv test document in which I modified the mapping to transform my zip code data into geo_point but I was unable to display anything on a map.

Thank you in advance for your help.

My best regards,

Baptiste Orsoni

Hi @Baptiste_Orsoni,

Elastic Maps Service provides Zip codes for the US so you can use directly the Choropleth wizard. If you are working with another country you will have to find the zip countries dataset, upload it to Elasticsearch, and finally you can run a term join with your data index to render the map.

Can you provide more details of this process? How did you convert your zipcodes into geo_point? Have you generated an index pattern?

Hi @jsanz

Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately I'm working in France with french zip codes but I'll try to find french zip codes dataset as you suggested.

For the conversion of the zipcodes :

• I uploaded my csv doc via the Data Visualizer of the Machine Learning process.
  • After the upload and import of my doc, I went to the advanced options where I've added in the mapping : "location_geo" : { "type" : "geo_point" } and in the ingest pipeline : "append": { "field": "location_geo", "value": "{{zipcode}}" } ("zipcode" corresponding to my parameter retrieving zipcodes in my doc).

But I suspected that the French postal codes were not going to appear as if by magic.

My goal is to display the number of users per zip code on the map, so I wanted to know what method you recommend to do this in the best possible way.

Thanks again for your help,

Baptist Orsoni

Sorry but that is not how it works. The process you followed works for CSVs with full coordinates in your dataset.

This needs two steps:

1. Find your geospatial dataset. This page may be a good starting point for you, since it apparently contains France postcodes as points. You could upload that to Elasticsearch using the same tooling you already used.
  2. Map your data. Once you have your postal codes up in your cluster you should be able to create the Term join layer I mentioned earlier.

I don't know if there are other official datasets for France postalcodes. It's a type of dataset that is always a bit tricky to find and problematic to use for spatial analysis, even it may be your best option depending on your project.

Very well, I will try this two steps.

Thanks for your help.

Have an excellent week !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.