What is logstash instance?

I want to know what a logstash instance is? Is it a self-generated .conf file? Which command should I use to check which instances are running?

Hi @Nghia_D_ng,

An instance of Logstash would be a single running instance processing events from a source with the specified pipeline transformations. The .conf file is the configuration for your instance of Logstash, including the inputs, outputs and transformations.

I would recommend having a look at the How it Works and Setup portions of the documentation for a more detailed overview.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

HI @carly.richmond ,
I use to check which instances are running?

Hi @Nghia_D_ng,

You would check using the OS-specific process command on your machine. For example, on linux it would be something like the below:

ps -a | grep logstash

Hope that helps!

Hi @carly.richmond ,
I use CentOS, this command does not work for you

@Nghia_D_ng if there is no output from the command the grep command doesn't find logstash within the output from the piped ps command. There are several different commands for finding processes including top and pgrep as covered here.

Have you started Logstash on your machine using the instructions in the docs?

It could also be the process is running as a different user, in which case you may need to use the -aux options.

Hi @carly.richmond ,

ps -aux|grep logstash
is this?

1 Like

HI @carly.richmond ,
I have 2 logstash instances, how do I start each instance individually?
Thanks you!

Hi @carly.richmond
Please help me!

Hi @Nghia_D_ng,

Do you mean you want to run multiple instances? Or do you want to use multiple pipelines within a single process?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.