What is "Query Length"?

Hi all, I'm wondering what query length is referring to in this limit guide (it is set to 128)? Limits | Elastic App Search Documentation [8.2] | Elastic

I am having a hard time understanding what part of the query is limited to 128. We are running Elasticsearch 7.9 (not 7.1 as I wrote earlier), is there any guidance as to what the default value for query length limit for version 7.9?

I'm running a search query in this format and it's succeeding despite some of these product id's being longer than 128 characters:

curl -X POST http://localhost:8080/index/_search -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{
  "query": {
    "bool" : {
        "filter" : {
          "term": {
            "category": "clothing"
          }, 
        }, 
        "filter" : {
            "terms" : { 
                "product_id" :[
                  "9de53bbf-2a65-49a1-8257-46029089804a"... (1000 of these)
               ]}}}}

Thanks in advance

Elasticsearch 7.1 is EOL and no longer supported. Please upgrade ASAP.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

Can you give more details about the query and the exception?

Thanks. I don't have an exception but the query is essentially "get me all things that 1. have clothing as their category 2. whose id is in this list of 1000 ids". I hoped that I captured this in the code snippet above.

My question is just what is "query length" in the limits page. I wasn't sure what that configuration refers to, thanks.

Also we are running 7.9 and not 7.1.

Maybe this doc about Search Settings
If you user Terms Query, read this.

Many many thanks!

7.9 is still EOL, you should be looking to upgrade ASAP.

Yup thanks!

To close the gap, it turns out I'm not using App Search so this question is not applicable to my use case.

I am guessing query length makes more sense if you're an app search user and it's very clear what that means?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.