What network settings does Elasticsearch modify in order to allow SSH via host name?

I have a scenario where we created an Elasticsearch cluster using a base Ubuntu 16.4.0.4 VM template. These Elasticsearch nodes are able to be SSHed into using their host names (ES-DATA-01.domain.com). I didn't think anything of it until I created another VM utilizing the same 16.4.0.4. VM template without Elasticsearch, and I am unable to SSH using the host name.

I was curious about this behavior and investigated further. /etc/hosts/ is configured appropriately on both machines to resolve to their FQDN, and /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf is also identical across both of these VMs. ifconfig doesn't show any differences between them either.

What Linux configuration(s) does a base Elasticsearch install alter in order for SSH to work by using the host name? I am going out on a limb that within elasticsearch.yml, the config value of node.name: ${HOSTNAME} is playing into this by some sort of pass-through mechanism, but I cannot ascertain the mechanism. Perhaps unicast is also a factor here?

None, this is not an Elasticsearch thing, it's an OS level setting.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.