What should i do to trigger a watch only when condition matches to a certain requirement

Hi

I am trying to create a watch which should alert our Team only when a certain condition matches,

For example: "whenever a Failed Login Attempt Detected"

RightNow it is sending me an email after each 1 hour with same ctx.paylod.hits.total as no failed login is made and /var/log/secure file has no updates, same time my index which is carrying out /var/log/secure logs is the same as I stopped trying failed attempts, but watcher still sending because it has a scheduled trigger of 1 hr. how can I make it trigger only when a certain condition matches like whenever someone tries to do login and gets failed then only it should send me an email, or whenever index gets updated then only I should get an update by email

{
"trigger": {
"schedule": {
"interval": "1h"
}
},
"input": {
"search": {
"request": {
"body": {
"size": 0,
"query": {
"match_phrase" : {
"message" : "Failed password for invalid user"
}

}
    },
    "indices": [
      "*"
    ]
  }
}

},
"condition": {
"compare": {
"ctx.payload.hits.total": {
"gte": 1
}
}
},

"actions" : {
"gmail_account": {
"email": {
"profile": "standard",
"to": [
"testemail@gmail.com"
],
"subject": "ELK Alert: Failed logging attempts Detected !",
"body": {
"text" : "WARNING: There are {{ctx.payload.hits.total}} Failed logging attempts Detected in last 1 Hour. "
}
}
},
"my-logging-action": {
"logging": {
"text" : "WARNING: There are {{ctx.payload.hits.total}} Failed logging attempts Detected in last 1 Hour. "
}
}
}
}

The watch will trigger once every hour, but you do not seem to have a range condition in your query to only search logs that came in the last X hours. The query therefore looks at ALL data, which might be why you are seeing an email being generated every time.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your help...

Please explain or give me an example.

Add a range query component to your query that filters out results older than when the watch last ran (you may want to add a bit extra margin).

i am not able to understand you. can you write a sample for my query,

i think i need to write compare condition when current count of "ctx.payload.hits.total" is gte than
Last "ctx.payload.hits.total" but dont know how to compare two "ctx.payload.hits.total" current one and last one. :frowning:

You need to change you query to something like this:

"query": {
  "bool": {
    "must": {
      "match_phrase" : {
        "message" : "Failed password for invalid user"
      }
    },
    "filter": {
      "range" : {
        "@timestamp" : {
          "gte" : "now-1h"
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

This will prevent you from looking at ALL documents in the index every time, as only the documents with a @timestamp within the last hour are considered.

1 Like

Thanks Christian, it works !!!! ,

Thank you soo much...

is this also possible to create instant alerting system using watches?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.