What version a node is?

Hi,

Hope you can help me here. I did an upgrade of ES a few months ago to ES7.x . I was creating a new index but wanted to maintain the old one.

The problem I have is that I cannot use the older index, not sure what went wrong but I can't access the info. So I want to run two separate instances of ES which is feasible.

The problem is that I don't know which version was installed before the upgrade. Can you tell me how to identify the previous node version?

The error I get when opening the old index with ES6.1 is:

[node_meta_data] unknown field [node_version], parser not found

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Hello, ES 7 support:

• minimum_index_compatibility_version: "6.0.0-beta1"

Maybe your index have been created at v7?

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

What do you mean here?

The output from the _cluster/stats?pretty&human API will show what version of Elasticsearch the indices in the cluster were made in.

First of all thanks for your answers...

I'll try to explain myself better.

I had an index working in a ES version (I don't know which one), in order to explain myself better, I'll call this index legacy. A few months ago the project had a major overhaul and I updated the ES Version to 7.13. This overhaul included creating a new index bc the project had different info.

I made a backup of the legacy index node files and tried to update. But now, in the ES7 I can't access to the legacy index. Then I tried installing previous versions of ES (6.1 and 6.8) but none of those seem to be able to open the legacy index, showing the error "[node_meta_data] unknown field [node_version], parser not found".

So, right now I have the legacy index node files and no way to access the info. Can anyone help me access the info stored in it or how to find out which version it was created ?

Thanks

Do you mean you just copied the files from disk, or do you mean you took a snapshot? If you have a snapshot then you can set up a new 6.8 cluster and restore it into that. If you just copied the files then note the warning in the docs:

WARNING: The only reliable and supported way to back up a cluster is by taking a snapshot . You cannot back up an Elasticsearch cluster by making copies of the data directories of its nodes. There are no supported methods to restore any data from a filesystem-level backup.

This error occurs if you're trying to downgrade an Elasticsearch node in place, which won't work. Instead you'll need to create a new cluster running the older version, and restore a snapshot into it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.