What would the be ideal hardware configuration for Master only Node

(SK) #1

What would the be ideal hardware configuration for Master only Node assuming our cluster is made of 3 data nodes with data size of maximum 750 GB in each data node.

Also does 3 data node cluster with each data node on separate machine does it require master node only on each machine

Will having 3 master-node cluster better than 3 master only and 3 data only nodes cluster

(Mark Walkom) #2

It depends, but you should be ok with 4GB of system memory and 3GB of that for the master heap.

No, there's not really much point in that.

Depends, but for a 3 node cluster it may be a bit of a resource waste to have dedicated masters. If you plan on adding many mode nodes in soon though, it makes sense.

(SK) #3

Thanks for the reply. How is the RAM size recommendation calculated for Master Node? I mean 3gb of heap?.
Irrespective of data size in data node say my data node holds 50gb memory, does the master node still require 3gb of memory ?

Can a master node run on 128 MB RAM ?

(Mark Walkom) #4

That's just a size I wouldn't go below, so;

Maybe, but I wouldn't.

Depends on your mapping sizes, how many shards and a bunch of other things.

(SK) #5

Thanks. So I based on our conversation, can I say in a 3 node only cluster, it would be better design to have 3 master-data nodes than any other design ?

(Mark Walkom) #6

I think so, but only you can test and know!

(system) #7