Where is defined new_user_tips?

Hey

I'd like to change the text coming from field new_user_tips which is used when a new user joins discuss.elastic.co.

Change proposal BTW so @warkolm can also comment, enhance...

If you have any trouble, please tell us as many information as possible like your technical environment, sizing, architecture, nodes...
Providing a script to reproduce locally is definitely helping a lot to get quicker and more accurate responses.

Please format your code using </> icon and produce full scripts like this one:

DELETE index
PUT index/type/1
{
  "foo": "bar"
}
GET index/type/_search
{
  "query": {
    "match": {
    }
  }
}

Use the preview box when posting to make sure that you code examples have indentation preserved.

Also be patient when waiting for an answer to your questions. This is a community forum and as such it may take some time before someone replies to your question. Not everyone on the forum is an expert in every area so you may need to wait for someone who knows about the area you are asking about to come online and have the time to look into your problem.

Please see the code of conduct for more details on our code of conduct (in particular the "be patient" section).

There are no SLAs on responses to questions posted on this forum, if you require help with an SLA on responses you should look into purchasing a subscription package that includes support with an SLA such as those offered by Elastic.

You can also bookmark the documentation.

Note that there are specific lists for elasticsearch, beats, logstash and Kibana.

I like it. Unformatted code examples are the most common problem I see. I
might go so far as to say "use the preview box when posting to make sure
that you code examples have indentation preserved."

So I updated the original text with your proposal @nik9000.

Anyone knows how we can set this field new_user_tips. I can see that it's used in email template but can't see where we can define it.

Ping. Anyone @discourse could help?

Have you tried looking at at
/admin/customize/site_texts?overridden=false&q=tips ?

Thanks @Sam_Saffron. It gives:

Can't see here this new_user_tips field. Am I missing something?

I think it is simply usage_tips you have highlighted, simple way to confirm
is to search for text in the user tips is should find the correct string to
override.

Actually I don't know if there is any user tips defined today.
So can't really search for this content.

I'm a bit confused here. Where is that new_user_tips is coming from?
It has been defined in the email template. Anyone knows who defined this template?

Is it a default discourse setting?

Sorry for the delays here, and sorry its taking so long to sort out.

Can you paste here the current text, and the exact text you are trying to
change it to. I will sort it out and let you know what I did.

cc @discourse

Hi Sam

So basically, I want to modify the content of the email template when a new user joins: https://discuss.elastic.co/admin/customize/email_templates/system_messages.welcome_user

Today, this template contains:

Thanks for joining %{site_name}, and welcome!

%{new_user_tips}

We believe in [civilized community behavior](%{base_url}/guidelines) at all times.

Enjoy your stay!

(If you need to communicate with [staff members](%{base_url}/about) as a new user, just reply to this message.)

As you can see, a field named new_user_tips is mentioned here.

Obviously I can manually edit the template and put my text in it, but I imagine that if this %{new_user_tips} is here for good reasons, right?

Let me know if I should replace manually in the email template or define somewhere this field new_user_tips.

Whatever, I'd like that we send a welcome email which contains:

Thanks for joining %{site_name}, and welcome!

%{new_user_tips}

If you have any trouble, please tell us as many information as possible like your technical environment, sizing, architecture, nodes...
Providing a script to reproduce locally is definitely helping a lot to get quicker and more accurate responses.

Please format your code using </> icon and produce full scripts like this one:

DELETE index
PUT index/type/1
{
}
GET index/type/_search
{
  "query": {
    "match": {
    }
  }
}

Use the preview box when posting to make sure that you code examples have indentation preserved.

Also be patient when waiting for an answer to your questions. This is a community forum and as such it may take some time before someone replies to your question. Not everyone on the forum is an expert in every area so you may need to wait for someone who knows about the area you are asking about to come online and have the time to look into your problem.

Please see the code of conduct for more details on our code of conduct (in particular the "be patient" section).

There are no SLAs on responses to questions posted on this forum, if you require help with an SLA on responses you should look into purchasing a subscription package that includes support with an SLA such as those offered by Elastic.

You can also bookmark the documentation.

Note that there are specific lists for elasticsearch, beats, logstash and Kibana.

We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

Enjoy your stay!

(If you need to communicate with staff members as a new user, just reply to this message.)

Thanks for your help.

I searched for the word "traditional" which appears in the new user tips, in

Admin, Customize, Text Content

and I found it under

system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template

Screenshot attached.... I hope that helps!

[image: pasted1]