Who out there is still using Kibana 3?

@elvarb that's exactly what I did when I tested it out...you don't really get much of a choice when going from KB3 to KB4 because you can't import anything in. I did like some of the features for discovering data, but the dashboard was just terrible...and it still is. No graph gridlines, no axis labeling, and no colours, all of which came with KB3, just killed it for me. KB4 is a huge regression as it relates to getting a working dashboard. The images in this link pretty much sum it up.

The colors will come probably with kibana4.4 and I totally agree, that is a big issue but it will be fixed soon.

Another thing that bugs me with Kibana4 is the spacing of everything, make a table viz and there is so much wasted space and the only thing you can do is make the viz smaller on the dashboard but that just leads to iframe scroll bars. Having lots of iframe scroll bars in a dashboard is not fun, scroll down with the mouse wheel and it will stop in every iframe where the mouse pointer happens to be at.

But do not be afraid of change, the speed and memory savings of Elasticsearch2.0 is worth it. If you must have Kibana3 as well then send the logs to both Elasticsearch2.0 and Elasticsearch1.7 but only keep a minimal amount of logs in the old version. Best of both worlds.

We are using Kibana 3 as a way better discovery panel and Kibana 4 for 'analytics'. And we are going to use it as It was not difficult to replace facades with aggregation support in the Kibana 3 so Elasticsearch 2 is not a problem. The fork is on Github by the way.
From my perspective Kibana 4 it is not the same product it does not do the same things so you should not force people to use it. For me personally the biggest issue is that in 3 I can point the dashboard to a different index ( we have different indexes for same logs from different environments ). Where as in 4 i need to write a script to go and copy all the visualisations and rename index in them.

1 Like

Could you share the link to the github fork, please?

sure https://github.com/immunochomik/kibana3

Thanks for this...I will absolutely give this a try.

We also forked kibana3 and trnasformed the facets of terms and histograms into aggregations:
This is the link:

Thanks for putting this together. We tried out Kibana 4 and it is not going to cut it for production

Had anyone tried the latest build of 4.x? Color control and axis control have theoretically been put in, but I have yet to have time to try and mess with it.

Anyone tested both K3 es2 compatible versions? Wonder which is better to start with.

Obviously mine :slight_smile: is better we are using it everyday just works,

I'd like to agree with you :), if your fork supported this Nested aggregation charts (the other one doesn't support it either)

Yes you can do that have look at my response on that thread

We have added cardinality aggregation now so you can get unique counts of values like unique users and such

Note that I have a fork of the K3 project as well migrating facets to aggs. I still have a few panels left and borrowed some of @tswider's contributions. Big differences here are having support for grunt and retaining all of the original task builders. Having support for this in a project of this nature is vital IMO and the original goodies are preserved to their intent.

In addition to this it also features an upgrade to the Angular 1.4.9 as the version in the original project was considered to still be experimental from my recollection.

After finishing out the other panels and facet migrations I intend to move it off of elastic.js and into elasticsearch.js but getting through the main 2.x compatibility issues are paramount.

My Enhanced Kibana3 fork had already been upgrade to use aggregations API now. You can try to use it at https://github.com/childe/kibana-authorization/tree/dev

it doesn't work with ES 2.1.1 cause it still uses facets instead of aggregations.

Guys.. Please be informed i am using k4 and all of these features mentioned above are present. The thing is.. you should know what are you doing or what you are trying to do.

I want my dashboard to look like what I already have. I need to pack in all I can into a single page....this is just not doable with KB4. I continue to test though....and once I can do the below then I'll make the switch.

For color Palette select see this.. https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/1362

this has been introduced already in kibana 4. and yes you can plt graphs like these in kibana 4.4, Again.. you should know n be good enough to use n understand Kibana 4.4