Why restart kibana error?

I am using the latest version of Elasticsearch and kibana, start Elasticsearch successfully, start kibana successfully, but when I cancel the kibana process with ctrl+c and restart it again, an error will be reported. The current solution is to execute the command curl -X DELETE http:// 127.0.0.1:9200/.kibana*, and then it can be started again. I want to ask if this is normal, is there any other way? Because this will cause the created index pattern to disappear.
Below is the error log

log   [10:46:31.938] [fatal][root] Error: Unable to complete saved object migrations for the [.kibana_task_manager] index: Unable to complete the UPDATE_TARGET_MAPPINGS_WAIT_FOR_TASK step after 15 attempts, terminating.
    at migrationStateActionMachine (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/core/server/saved_objects/migrationsv2/migrations_state_action_machine.js:144:29)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at async Promise.all (index 1)
    at SavedObjectsService.start (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/core/server/saved_objects/saved_objects_service.js:181:9)
    at Server.start (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/core/server/server.js:330:31)
    at Root.start (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/core/server/root/index.js:69:14)
    at bootstrap (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/core/server/bootstrap.js:120:5)
    at Command.<anonymous> (/elk/kibana-7.17.0-linux-x86_64/src/cli/serve/serve.js:229:5)
  log   [10:46:32.170] [info][savedobjects-service] [.kibana] UPDATE_TARGET_MAPPINGS_WAIT_FOR_TASK -> FATAL. took: 64044ms.
  log   [10:47:01.955] [info][plugins-system][standard] Stopping all plugins.
  log   [10:47:01.957] [info][kibana-monitoring][monitoring][monitoring][plugins] Monitoring stats collection is stopped

You shouldn't have to delete your .kibana index ever since this is where all your work in Kibana is saved. But it looks like the error you're hitting is in the task manager index.

Kibana creates some docs in the .kibana index when it first starts up. If you delete the .kibana index while Kibana is already running that causes problems. I'm not 100% sure on the .kibana_task_manager index.

If you're OK starting clean again you could do these steps;

1. stop Kibana (ctrl+c is OK)
  2. delete the .kibana index and the .kibana_task_manager index (these are actually both aliases which point to the actual index, but I think you can delete them through the alias)
  3. start Kibana

After this, you should be able to stop Kibana (ctrl+c) and restart it.

Regards,
Lee

Please let us know if that doesn't work.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.