Windows Perfmon (DHCP) Dashboard

I'm new to the Elastic Stack - forgive me if this is a "Captain Obvious" question. We want to monitor some key services such as DHCP Declines that can be indicative of trouble. I installed the metricbeat on our Windows 2012 R2 Domain Controller (DC) and after some trial and error banged out a modules.d\windows.yaml that contained some relevant counters (will post below).

In Discover view on Elastic side I do see some mention of 3 perfmon counters but its ugly when I click "visualize". Since there does not appear to be built in logic to "magically create" a dashboard as I see for metricbeat and winlogbeat on other items - is there a simple tutorial on how I might see these and perhaps add some other KPI's to a "Domain Controller Dashboard"?

Here are the counters I configured in the YAML file in case anyone else may look for similar:

Module: windows

Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/metricbeat/7.9/metricbeat-module-windows.html

• module: windows
    metricsets:

• service
      period: 1m
  • module: windows
    metricsets:

• perfmon
      period: 10s
      perfmon.ignore_non_existent_counters: true
      perfmon.group_measurements_by_instance: true
      perfmon.queries:

- object: 'Process'

instance: ["svchost*", "conhost*"]

counters:

- name: 'Disk Writes/sec'

field: physical_disk.write.per_sec

format: "float"

- name: "% Disk Write Time"

• object: 'DHCP Server'
    counters:
    • name: 'Declines/sec'
    counters:
    • name: 'Requests/sec'
    counters:
    • name: 'Offers/sec'
    counters:
    • name: 'Releases/sec'

Literally ANY guidance on how to easily lay out a visual on this would be great - many of the counters are zero (no declines are a GOOD thing) and we are small so often counters are zero or .8 / sec for example if that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.