Wireshark and 7.0

Hello!

Working with this post:
https://www.elastic.co/blog/analyzing-network-packets-with-wireshark-elasticsearch-and-kibana

and it appears that with 7.0 the template JSON file isn't supported anymore... and I'm at a loss.

Every single time I try to post it, I get this error message..

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "type": "mapper_parsing_exception",
        "reason": "Root mapping definition has unsupported parameters:  [pcap_file : {dynamic=false, properties={layers={properties={udp={properties={udp_udp_srcport={type=integer}, udp_udp_dstport={type=integer}}}, ip={properties={ip_ip_src={type=ip}, ip_ip_dst={type=ip}}}, frame={properties={frame_frame_len={type=long}, frame_frame_protocols={type=keyword}}}}}, timestamp={type=date}}}]"
      }
    ],
    "reason": "Failed to parse mapping [_doc]: Root mapping definition has unsupported parameters:  [pcap_file : {dynamic=false, properties={layers={properties={udp={properties={udp_udp_srcport={type=integer}, udp_udp_dstport={type=integer}}}, ip={properties={ip_ip_src={type=ip}, ip_ip_dst={type=ip}}}, frame={properties={frame_frame_len={type=long}, frame_frame_protocols={type=keyword}}}}}, timestamp={type=date}}}]",
    "caused_by": {
      "reason": "Root mapping definition has unsupported parameters:  [pcap_file : {dynamic=false, properties={layers={properties={udp={properties={udp_udp_srcport={type=integer}, udp_udp_dstport={type=integer}}}, ip={properties={ip_ip_src={type=ip}, ip_ip_dst={type=ip}}}, frame={properties={frame_frame_len={type=long}, frame_frame_protocols={type=keyword}}}}}, timestamp={type=date}}}]"
    }
  },
  "status": 400
}

and I've been working on this for a few hours.... anything I'm missing other than a whole rewrite?

I think you need to remove the type name from the template. So remove this key: pcap_file.

HTH

Same AP here....

To sort this thing out, we need to understand how WireAir collects traffic.
WireShark (+ KDEShit) uses thing called caps (pcap, ncpcap etc)....
These caps sits on the interfaces and capture packets.

Problem here is that although WireShark runs OK, ES seems not to cooperate. Why? IDK. No-one knows - not even the developers of ES

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.