X-Pack Security course outdated?

(edit) I totally forgot The first error I actually get is when trying to install X-Pack, where I get the error that X-Pack is already installed!

According to Lab 1, available on the package at https://training.elastic.co/user/digital_content/82/download, I should execute, by item 8, .\x-pack/setup-passwords interactive, but I only get a complaint that setup-passwords.bat is deprecated.
And then, when I try to run .\elasticsearch-setup-passwords.bat interactive I get an error saying that X-Pack Security is not available.
The Lab says it needs version 6.x or greater, and the current version available for download is 6.4.2 - seems to me like this course is in dire need of revision. Following the steps there, I have no idea how I should activate X-Pack Security for running this course.

Hi,

We are in the process of updating the course. The right command is:

bin/elasticsearch-setup-passwords interactive

If you find another problem please let me know, so I make sure you can do the course.

Thank you very much for your feedback

1 Like

Hi @tamara thank you for replying, but that was already informed to me by the deprecated message I've got from setup-passwords.

\elasticsearch-6.4.2\bin> .\x-pack/setup-passwords interactive
\elasticsearch-6.4.2\bin\x-pack\setup-passwords.bat is deprecated, use \elasticsearch-6.4.2\bin\elasticsearch-setup-passwords.bat
Sets the passwords for reserved users

Commands
--------
auto - Uses randomly generated passwords
interactive - Uses passwords entered by a user

Non-option arguments:
command

Option         Description
------         -----------
-h, --help     show help
-s, --silent   show minimal output
-v, --verbose  show verbose output
ERROR: Missing command

The real problem comes when I try bin/elasticsearch-setup-passwords interactive and get an error saying that X-Pack is not available:

\elasticsearch-6.4.2\bin> .\elasticsearch-setup-passwords.bat interactive

Unexpected response code [403] from calling GET http://127.0.0.1:9200/_xpack/security/_authenticate?pretty
It doesn't look like the X-Pack security feature is available on this Elasticsearch node.
Please check if you have installed a license that allows access to X-Pack Security feature.

ERROR: X-Pack Security is not available.

But when I try to install X-Pack, it says that ERROR: this distribution of Elasticsearch contains X-Pack by default.

X-Pack is no longer a plug-in - it is now already built-in to Elasticsearch. You just need to enable Security, which can be done from within Kibana. The details are here (pay close attention to steps 1 and 2):
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.4/configuring-security.html

1 Like

Thanks! So, it's another point where the training needs an update, since it says that we need to install the plugin and then setup passwords, when now we need to install Elasticsearch, then Kibana and then go enable Security within Kibana.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.