[6.3.0] homebrew recipe

(Loren Siebert) #1

I was surprised to see there was no homebrew recipe for 6.3.0 yet and no open PR so I set about creating a PR myself. I ran into some issues with brew audit --strict and, after some digging, found this is why there is no 6.3.0 recipe.

If you are on Mac and want to upgrade, I hope this saves you some time!

How to install/use x-pack on OSX Homebrew (OSS) version?
(Yehosef) #2

Is there a plan or timeframe for a solution? I use my mac for development and I'm not going to resort to something like docker for this.

(Loren Siebert) #3

I wish I knew. 6.3.0 was released six weeks ago, so I'm surprised nothing has happened on this. Could someone from Elastic shed some light on this?

(Mark Walkom) #4

I've pinged some people internally to see if we can push things along. Apologies for the delays.

(Yehosef) #5

Thanks Mark! I'm looking forward to trying some of the new features in 6.3.

(Yehosef) #6

any update?

(Yehosef) #7

6.4 just released - is homebrew support abandoned, or its something that you still have hope/plans to support? Is there another recommended install method for OSX?

(Thiago Souza) #8

We haven't been able to publish +6.3.0 versions due to licensing issues. Please, follow up here for more details https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/28995

(Yehosef) #9

Considering there is a full OSS version at https://www.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch-oss, I don't understand why this should be. Can you please elaborate?

The reason given in one of the github issues is:

Briefly, the x-pack folder is integrated into our build scripts for some of the projects (if not all, I can’t check right now) so removing it at build time or providing a source tarball without the x-pack folder would not be possible at this time.

But considering there is an OSS build available from that page which also has installers for different platforms (win/deb/rpm - just not mac), I find that answer lacking.

So I return to my previous question:

is homebrew support abandoned, or its something that you still have hope/plans to support? Is there another recommended install method for OSX?

(Thiago Souza) #10

It's not abandoned. We are currently working on eventually providing the latest versions again.

(Yehosef) #11

great! happy to hear.

(Yehosef) #12

bump - just keeping this alive..

(Yehosef) #13

I see 6.4.1 in homebrew - yea! Thanks.

(system) #14

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.