[6.3.0] homebrew recipe

I was surprised to see there was no homebrew recipe for 6.3.0 yet and no open PR so I set about creating a PR myself. I ran into some issues with brew audit --strict and, after some digging, found this is why there is no 6.3.0 recipe.

If you are on Mac and want to upgrade, I hope this saves you some time!

1 Like

Is there a plan or timeframe for a solution? I use my mac for development and I'm not going to resort to something like docker for this.

I wish I knew. 6.3.0 was released six weeks ago, so I'm surprised nothing has happened on this. Could someone from Elastic shed some light on this?

I've pinged some people internally to see if we can push things along. Apologies for the delays.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark! I'm looking forward to trying some of the new features in 6.3.

any update?

6.4 just released - is homebrew support abandoned, or its something that you still have hope/plans to support? Is there another recommended install method for OSX?

We haven't been able to publish +6.3.0 versions due to licensing issues. Please, follow up here for more details https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/28995

Considering there is a full OSS version at Past Releases of Elastic Stack Software | Elastic, I don't understand why this should be. Can you please elaborate?

The reason given in one of the github issues is:

Briefly, the x-pack folder is integrated into our build scripts for some of the projects (if not all, I can’t check right now) so removing it at build time or providing a source tarball without the x-pack folder would not be possible at this time.

But considering there is an OSS build available from that page which also has installers for different platforms (win/deb/rpm - just not mac), I find that answer lacking.

So I return to my previous question:

is homebrew support abandoned, or its something that you still have hope/plans to support? Is there another recommended install method for OSX?

It's not abandoned. We are currently working on eventually providing the latest versions again.

great! happy to hear.

bump - just keeping this alive..

I see 6.4.1 in homebrew - yea! Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.