Add Information to tooltip

Hi, I'm using a Line Chart and need to add fields into the tooltip which isn't possible right now. So is eventually something wrong with my workflow? I see a peak in my chart and when I move over that datapoint, I get a tooltip, which gives information about x/y axis and the timestamp but i'm actually interested in where this peak is coming from and would love to see some additional fields.

How are people getting to this data conveniently ? I would expect that the tooltip could provide that, but there are 2 discussions about that in the forum, but closed.

At some point someone suggested in the forum to hack:

But it looks like those files are cached, so modifying those won't change anything, is there away to empty the cache?

While the full functionality you are looking for doesn't come with Kibana as it is today, one method that folks often use is to place a saved search visualization in the same dashboard as the line chart visualization that you have. That way, you can select a time range by clicking and dragging over a peak in the chart, and the saved search visualization will update with the same time range filter and show all the raw documents that are in that time range.

You could do something similar with other visualizations like a data table or a metric.

I've gave it a try and it seems to be a workaround that helps but it's definitely not a good solution. I basically have to always click a peak, which changes my time-range, so i always have to go back and select other peaks to get the dashboard updated.

Is it possible to give me a hint, what changes I would have to perform in the tooltip js ?

The event data that gets passed to the tooltip and tooltip formatter will not have the raw documents make up that summarized data point, which comes from an Elasticsearch aggregation. It would be a pretty fundamental code change to merge together documents from a search and coordinate them by date to a point in the line chart, and then pass it all to the tooltip.

As a separate visualization though, that's what the saved search does and is currently the best way to look at raw documents in a Kibana dashboard.

For your use case, when you want to see the raw documents that are related to different peaks in a chart, you could use the query bar to filter for data that is at the "peak" metric value. All of the visualizations in the dashboard will update, and the saved search will only show the filtered documents.

Hmmm,

the only thing is, if I'm seeing a bunch of samples, I don't want to always have to 'click' the sample and then "apply now" to add that filter to show the metric. And if I want to look up another sample I would have to go back and do the steps again.

Furthermore, when i click a sample-point, it basically "zooms" in and I'm out of the "big picture" that's annoying, it takes away the interactivity, that kibana offers.

There are other ways you can filter the data. I was thinking it probably would be easiest to type a Lucene expression into the filter bar. You could also create some saved searches in Discover where filters are part of the search, and have visualizations that are based on the saved searches.

If you're able to see a bunch of samples in a visualization, the goal is to filter the dashboard to select those samples, so that a saved search which shows raw data would only show the raw data for those samples.

Hope that helps!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.