Add tags via kibana - best practice

Hi,

maybe this topic may be better placed in elasticsearch, but I want to enable the kibana user to do that, so I start this topic here.

I have a loadtest environment set up. Multiple servers are included. Metricbeat is fetching metrics like cpu, network, memory, diskio, etc. I also have the logs of the tested system (our application) and of the load generator (e.g. jmeter) in elasticsearch.

Ich want total give each testrun a special tag to identify them later. what is the best way to do so?

@asp I'm going to move this topic to the "Beats" section, as there isn't a general purpose way of accomplishing this within Kibana itself, but there might be a beats specific way of doing what you're looking for.

That would mean changing all beats of affected systems before starting the the loadtest, right?
Hoped to find sth better :wink:

That would mean changing all beats of affected systems before starting the the loadtest, right?
Hoped to find sth better

I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that either. Unfortunately, there isn't a general purpose way in Kibana of doing a mass update of document to add a specific tag, outside of using the Dev Tools and using a Update by Query using some criteria to select the already indexed documents. It's also potentially possible to augment the ingestion of the metricbeat data to go through something like ingest node or logstash, so you could have a central place to update the "tag" before starting the load test run.

The beats team might have other ideas as well :slight_smile:

ok, thanks. Lets see with what Ideas they are coming up ,-)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.