After upgrade from ES-2.1.1 to ES-2.2.0 groovy scripting is broken

trying a test-query after upgrading from ES-2.1.1 to ES-2-2-0

POST smd_*/_search { "query": { "match_all": {} }, "script_fields": { "test": { "script": { "inline": "1 + 1" }}}}
brings an error:

"root_cause": [ { "type": "illegal_argument_exception", "reason": "script_lang not supported [groovy]" } ],

while the same request to the 2.1.1 instance works as expected.

elasticsearch.yml has

script.inline: true script.indexed: true script.file: true

the logfile does not show anything unusual. the word groovy only appears in the errormessage shown above.

groovy jars location differ (I used the zip version under centos, jdk1.8.0_65):

`[elastic@localhost ~]$ find . -name 'groovy'

./elasticsearch-2.2.0/modules/lang-groovy
./elasticsearch-2.2.0/modules/lang-groovy/lang-groovy-2.2.0.jar
./elasticsearch-2.2.0/modules/lang-groovy/groovy-all-2.4.4-indy.jar

./elasticsearch-2.1.1/lib/groovy-all-2.4.4-indy.jar`

I tried also to store the script as file in the script directory: did not help. Disabling the java security manager also did not change anything. So: any idea what I should do?

Many thanks for help.

I think you need to override them specifically again for groovy
script.engine.groovy.inline.search: true
script.engine.groovy.inline.update: true
script.engine.groovy.inline.mapping: true

Regards
Jayme

I'm having the same issue. Unfortunately, Jayme's suggestion doesn't fix the problem. Were it simply a configuration issue, the "reason" messaging would differ, pointing out that groovy is disabled for requests of this type.

Relevant bits of my config:

script.inline: true
script.indexed: true
script.file: true

script.engine.groovy.inline: true
script.engine.groovy.inline.search: true
script.engine.groovy.inline.update: true
script.engine.groovy.inline.mapping: true

Thank you Jayme.
I changed my elasticsearch.yml; but the behaviour is still the same. No change in reported errors in logfile.

Perhaps there is something written up here:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.2/modules-scripting-security.html

After I updated from 2.1.1 to 2.2.0 I see this error when trying to use scripts.
{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"Unable to find on disk file script [closest_listing] using lang [groovy]"}

closest_lisitng.groovy is the script located at /etc/elasticsearch/scripts

Was working fine on 2.1.1.

Any ideas?

For my case https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.x/modules-scripting-security.html was causing the issue. I was trying to import some restricted classes.
I added:

grant {
  permission org.elasticsearch.script.ClassPermission "*"; // allow all (disables filtering basically)
 };

to the java.policy file and restarted elasticsearch. Scripts worked fine after that.

sorry. Was much simpler: I did not check that ES has now a new dir modules and my setup did not link to it. Grovy Scripting is working now.

Is it the right solution? I was doing this simple tutorial with a fresh brew install then doing a few command lines, when I had the same error at this command line:

curl -XPOST "http://localhost:9200/playground/equipment/1/_update" -d '{ "script": "ctx._source.quantity += step", "params": { "step": 1 } }'

Is it the right solution? I was doing this simple tutorial with a fresh brew install

Reinstall from Homebrew again; the first version of the updated formula for Elasticsearch 2.2.0 did not install the modules folder from the distribution but it does now. I'm sorry!

That was quick thanks!

Can anyone tell me how to enable it for an embedded ElasticSearch?
Groovy worked without any problems in 2.1.1 ( Only "script.engine.groovy.inline.search", "true" was needed in my case).

I added all the Jars from the new module directories.

My settings look like this:

Settings.settingsBuilder().put("script.file" , "true").put("script.indexed" , "true").put("script.inline" , "true"). put( "script.engine.groovy.inline.search", "true"). put( "script.engine.groovy.inline.update", "true"). put( "script.engine.groovy.inline.mapping", "true")

I also tried to set a java.policy file.

I always see this error: IllegalArgumentException[script_lang not supported [groovy]

Do I have to manually load the Groovy module or something like that?

+1 on this one. I'm running embedded in a grails app, so groovy is already on the classpath. I get a (non-fatal) stack trace when I create the node: script_lang not supported [groovy] when it encounters my .groovy file in the script dir. It used to work just fine on 1.7.x. I tried adding an inline script field using the search builder, but it fails in a similar way, claiming "script_lang not supported [groovy]". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*** Update: I think the reason why it doesn't work is because groovy as a scripting language has been pulled out into the 'lang-groovy' plugin (see https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/pull/13834). This is a problem for embedded nodes because there doesn't seem to be a way to install plugins using the NodeBuilder (see Add plugins from classpath in embedded Elasticsearch client node). I think in the short term 2.1.2 still works as it did before, so I'll be rolling back to that version for now.

With the help of one of your links I solved the problem with Groovy.

This code should work for ES 2.2 (Java 8 is needed!):

Settings settings = Settings.settingsBuilder(). put(   "script.engine.groovy.inline.search", "true") ...    
    Environment env = new Environment(settings);        

Collection<Class<? extends Plugin>> classpathPlugins =  Collections.singletonList(GroovyPlugin.class);        

node = new MockNode(env, Version.CURRENT, classpathPlugins );        

node.start();

import java.util.Collection;
import org.elasticsearch.Version;
import org.elasticsearch.env.Environment;
import org.elasticsearch.node.Node;
import org.elasticsearch.plugins.Plugin;

public class MockNode extends Node {

// these are kept here so a copy of this MockNode can be created, since Node does not store them
    private Version version;
    private Collection<Class<? extends Plugin>> plugins;

public MockNode(Environment env, Version version, Collection<Class<? extends Plugin>> classpathPlugins)
    {          
        super(env, version, classpathPlugins);
        this.version = version;
        this.plugins = classpathPlugins;
    }

public Collection<Class<? extends Plugin>> getPlugins() {
        return plugins;
    }

public Version getVersion() {
        return version;
    }
}

The workaround posted by @FisherKing works but it seems odd to me that there is no official and straightforward way of doing this.
Is this issue to be fixed in an upcoming release?