[Alerting] My alerts are broken after upgrading Elastic Cloud to 7.10.2

Hi!
After upgrading ES cluster and Kibana to 7.10.2, I noticed that some of my alerts have started to throw error and hence refuse to work due to these error:

An error occurred when decrypting the alert.
Unable to decrypt attribute "apiKey"

I also get the same error every time I create a new alert.

My assumption is that it can happen when xpack.encryptedSavedObjects parameter is not set in kibana (or a different key than was used before is set hence rendering decryption impossible). However, I don't have any control over this parameter in Elastic Cloud and I never changed/deleted it by myself.

Requesting community / dev help with this. Maybe there's a way to recreate alerts index and encrypt it with the current key? I tried to delete/create API keys, disable and reenable alerts - none of this helped. Also, how can I ensure same issue doesn't appear next time when I upgrade?

Screenshots attached.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 5.16.18 PM|510x200
Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 5.15.58 PM|690x453

Have you reached out to the Support team about this one?

Hi!
Not yet, mostly due to the fact that I'm usually getting help from the community way faster than from the support :slight_smile:

@nickbabkin

I had a potentially similar issues I was told but did not do detailed analysis there is a potential race condition bug that causes that issue especially perhaps when Kibana under load.

Try disabling all those alerts, then open an alert, make a trivial change add a space, take out a space and save it and re-enable.

See if that works not a great suggestion but try one let us know... I would still persue support

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.