Annotations for code deployments

I am looking to add annotations to Kibana for when new versions of code are deployed. During a demo today, I saw annotations during a machine learning demo. I had read annotations are only supported for anomaly detection, and can't be added outside of this. But in the demo, I thought he said it came from another source.

Ideally, I would like a Step in Octopus Deploy that sends a document to elasticsearch. I have seen something similar in LogicMonitor, and it was very helpful.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Does https://www.elastic.co/blog/time-series-annotations-and-anomalies-with-kibana align with what you have seen?

Thanks warkolm. I have seen that blog article before, very helpful and we definitely intend to use that technique.

Unfortunately, those annotations are coming from anomaly detection. I don't see how we could manually create an annotation. "how to add annotations to a time series visualization from anomalies detected by a machine learning job."

You can add annotations with TSVB, see https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/time-series-interface.html#_annotations_tab

Thanks @warkolm. I was able to get pretty far with implementing this. Unfortunately I believe I hit a bug, and I don't think it will work.

Basically I can't use the new annotation index I created because the time field can not be selected. This seems like a continuation of the bug reported here: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/22575
In my case I also have this problem, where non default indexes can't have their time field selected, on the annotation tab as well.

This started working. I wish I knew what exactly got it working.

I stayed on the panel options tab and tried a few indexes as I did before. I chose my annotations index and typed in @timestamp. The dropdown had an error, which is where I got stuck before. I then typed in the name of my iis index. Once that name was in, the Time Field box autopopulated, but also left the old value. So I had @timestamp in there twice.

After that I was able to switch back to my annotations index, and one of the @timestamp values stayed populated! After that I was able to go to the annotations tab and typing in my annotations index caused the time field box to autopopulate.

I used @timestamp for my time field for both annotations and my filebeat IIS logs, which is why I think this worked. I am using the latest chrome browser.

I found a better work around for the no timeseries on non-default indexes bug. This bug presents itself on both panel options as well as annotations tabs of time series visual builder.

Step 1: Ensure your primary index for visualization is the default.
Step 2: Fill in panel options pane of visual builder, will probably autopopulate.
Step 3: Go to annotations tab, type in name of secondary index.
Step 4: In a separate browser tab, go to Management, and change the secondary index to be default index.
Step 5: Go back to original browser tab, should still be on annotations. Press ctrl-f5.
Step 6: The timeseries drop should now be populated correctly in annotations. SAVE.
Step 7: Optional: Change the default index back to the original if desired, but the visualization should be regardless.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.