Anonymous/Auto authentification in Kibana

Hi,

I'm using a local 1 cluster 2 nodes 7.1.1 ELK setup with xpack security enabled on elasticsearch.
What I want to do is setting up an auto-authentification or an anonymous access in order for the user to directly arrive on Kibana but as a read-only user, and then let him the possibility to login as a superuser in order to manage the data in the cluster.

I tried to follow the instruction on this tutorial. Here is my ES setup :

xpack.security.authc:
  anonymous: 
    username: _es_anonymous_user
    roles: anonymous_user
    authz_exception: true

So I created an "anonymous_user" role with read privilege on every ("*") indices but it didn't change anything in Kibana nor in ES. I also tried to add "_anonymous" in the run as privileges section but it didn't work either.

While searching solutions on the internet, I found this topic. The last answer is 26 days old and the topic is still open, which let me think that the anonymous access as I want to implement, isn't yet available on the 7.1.1, whereas there is a documentation about it.

I also searched a few about the auto-authentification way, and the only solutions I found were using reverse proxys with nginx to work. Is there any other way which do not require an other server ?

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer me, and I'm sorry if my english is a bit approximative.

Unfortunately anonymous access isn't well supported in Kibana right now. You can follow this ticket for more information https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/35613

At the moment, the only way to get anonymous access working while keeping security enabled is to put a reverse proxy in front of Kibana that will supply the basic auth header.

Thank you for your answer ! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.