Are there any best practices for the migration of saved objects between different versions?

I want to migrate the "saved objects" from ELK 7.6.2 version to 7.4.2 version.
what data must be consistent?
what needs attention?
how to move safely, steadily and quickly?

Hi @wajika,

Are you trying to downgrade your saved objects?

Yes, since 7.6.2 is my test environment, 7.4.2 is my official environment. Does the elastic team provide a safe solution for save object migration?

Unfortunately we don't support downgrading versions with saved objects. The current saved objects migrator only works if you're upgrading to a newer version.

@mikecote
So what should I do?
If I upgrade from 7.4.2 to 7.7.1, can I use 7.6.2 version of "save objects"?
I plan to use the new features of 7.7.X.

In addition, can I migrate save objects under different SPACE?

Yes, those saved objects will auto migrate on start of Kibana version 7.7.1. If you use the import / export feature, they will also auto migrate on import.

In addition, can I migrate save objects under different SPACE?

The Kibana migrator will upgrade all saved objects in all spaces so no issue there.

@mikecote
If I accidentally delete the index pattern, it will cause all the visualization charts to be unusable. I think this is a very serious problem (this occasionally occurs). I have a lot of Visualizations that cannot be used (meaning I need to re-create it once?).

The best workaround I can think of would be as follows:

1. Use the saved objects management UI to export your visualizations, dashboards, etc
  2. Re-create the accidentally deleted index pattern
  3. Import the output file from step 1. It should prompt you to chose a new index pattern and you can pick the one from step 2.

Thank you for your reply

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.