Is it possible to migrate visualizations from version 4.1 to 6.4

We want to upgrade from Elasticsearch 1.7 + Kibana 4.1 to Elasticsearch 6.4 + Kibana 6.4.

We have setup a new cluster using Elasticsearch 6.4 + Kibana 6.4. We also migrated the Elasticsearch index using reindex-from-remote approach successfully.

Since there are so many Kibana visualizations created in the old cluster, we want to migrate them to the new cluster without re-creating.

I have followed this document to reindex .kibana index. When opening the saved visualization, I got error "The index pattern associated with this object no longer exists."

Then I found this thread and tried the workaround with Export/Import:

While importing I still receive this warning: " The following saved objects use index patterns that do not exist. Please select the index patterns you'd like re-associated with them. You can create a new index pattern if necessary." along with this error message: "Cannot read property 'save' of undefined".

Is this the right way to migrate visualizations from ver 4.1 to 6.4?

No there is as far as I know not. At least not unless you step through all the versions. You will unfortunately likely need to recreate.

Hi Christian_Dahlqvist,

Do you think if it's going to work if I go through the 4.1 to 5.x, 5.x to 6.x path?

I'm considering to setup a separate 5.x cluster just for this migration purpose. But I'd like to verify if somebody else has successfully done it.

I do not know how migrations have evolved over time and whether something is likely to break. I would wait for someone from the Kibana team to comment.

Kibana team,

Since we have 1,000+ visulizations created in version 4.1, we desperately want an approach to automate the migration process. Is there any solution or workaround?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.