Basic license - some xpack options seem to be wrongfully not available?

Hey all,

When reading the subscriptions page, it seemed to me as if some xpack security options would be available for a basic license. The subscription page mentions that following options should be available: Encrypted communications, Role based access control & File and native authentication.

When I tried to register my basic license on my newly set-up server however, I got the following message:

{
    "acknowledged": false,
    "license_status": "valid",
    "acknowledge": {
        "message": "This license update requires acknowledgement. To acknowledge the license, please read the following messages and update the license again, this time with the \"acknowledge=true\" parameter:",
        "watcher": [
            "Watcher will be disabled"
        ],
        "security": [
            "The following X-Pack security functionality will be disabled: authentication, authorization, ip filtering, and auditing. Please restart your node after applying the license.",
            "Field and document level access control will be disabled.",
            "Custom realms will be ignored."
        ],
        "monitoring": [
            "Multi-cluster support is disabled for clusters with [BASIC] license. If you are\nrunning multiple clusters, users won't be able to access the clusters with\n[BASIC] licenses from within a single X-Pack Kibana instance. You will have to deploy a\nseparate and dedicated X-pack Kibana instance for each [BASIC] cluster you wish to monitor.",
            "Automatic index cleanup is locked to 7 days for clusters with [BASIC] license."
        ],
        "graph": [
            "Graph will be disabled"
        ],
        "ml": [
            "Machine learning will be disabled"
        ]
    }
}

Notably the The following X-Pack security functionality will be disabled: authentication, authorization, ip filtering, and auditing. seems to contradict the licensing stuff mentioned on the subscription page (isn't Role based access control & File and native authentication the same?).

To me it seems like the basic license enforced on my server is not in line with the stuff mentioned on the subscription page, or am I missing something?

Sincerely yours,

B.

You need at least versions 6.8.0 or 7.1.0 in order to access those features with a Basic license, see Security for Elasticsearch is now free.

I am using version 5.6 (because of compatibility issues with an existing server). Which license would I require in order to use basic auth? The current subscriptions page says that gold should suffice, but is this also true for 5.6?

And can I find pricing somewhere, or am I obliged to send an email and go through the whole sales process.

I only use Basic license myself so I don't know the answers to this question.

As for the pricing, you will need to contact Elastic to get a quote which will typically depend on the number of nodes in your cluster.

Yes. This is true.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.