[BUG?] Cookies are invalidated after some time

Scenario:

• cookies on the browser are cleared
  • Kibana is accessed
  • no activity with kibana for some time
  • any new request to kibana from the same browser yields the message {"statusCode":400,"error":"Bad Request","message":"Invalid cookie value"}

The only way to recover access to Kibana is to clear cookies on the browser.

This is on a clean Kibana 4.2.0 without any specific front-ends (reverse proxies, etc.)

Interestingly enough, after deleting all cookies there are none new set up following a Kibana session. It would look like some other cookies are problematic for that app (even though I do not see how as it has no knowledge of cookies set by other domains).

Does this happen in an incognito window? Maybe some browser plugin causing issues? Kibana doesn't use cookies.

I just installed Kibana with ES 2.0 and get the same message when trying to access Kibana for the first time.

Got the same bug here, too
Actually, I have found a situation which reappear this problem
when I have a cookie like this
"abc":"123,456"
the cookie error occurs, and when I delete this cookie, the site gets fine again

I don't know whether kibana or nodejs cause this bug
pardon my poor english :slight_smile:

Everybody at my company gets this all the time. Sometimes its 5 minutes after visiting Kibana, sometimes its after hours. Regardless, its always easiest to just close the kibana tab immediately after using it if you aren't going to continue otherwise this error message will appear.

1 Like

I get this exact error as well. If I delete the cookie, it reappears after I search or click a couple times in Kibana. It only happens in Chrome. Never happens in Firefox, Safari, Opera. Haven't tried on IE or Edge.

1 Like

A fix was pushed for this in the 4.3.1 and 4.2.2 releases. For reference, the GitHub issue used to track this was https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/5436.