Can't Connect to Kibana via Browser on Local VM

I am getting a ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error when trying to use Chrome to connect to Kibana on a VM on my Windows machine but connecting to ES on the same VM works fine. Both have been updated to the latest versions and when I run service kibana status it says that it is running and I can login in to the VM and curl localhost:5601 and get a response. I checked /var/log/kibana and don't see any errors but suspiciously both the files in the directory (kibana.stderr and kibana.stdout) reflect a last updated date of 28 April even though I have stop/started kibana multiple times. I am running Centos 6.8 and installed both products using the yum repositories. Anybody have any ideas what might be going on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

Disregard my comment about the 28 April date thing regarding the log files, somehow the date on the VM in question got totally out of whack. Also, I updated the server.host value in my kibana.yml file to reflect the IP of the VM in question and restarted kibana and see in the logs that kibana is running at that address and still can't hit it from a browser on port 5601. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

I fixed this issue by taking the following steps. Not sure what actually fixed the problem, but it is working now. This was done on a local dev VM running CentOS 6.8.

Kevin

1. Added my specific IP address to the kibana.yml file vice 0.0.0.0 (which was not working)
  2. Added 5601 to iptables, saved iptables and restarted the service.
  3. Set SELinux to run in Permissive mode.
  4. Ran the following command to open up connections, but I do not think this is what fixed the issue:

setsebool -P http_can_network_connect on

1 Like

@krmathieu thank you for sharing your solution here so others can refer to it!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.