Can't enable metric modules in version 7.6

Hi,
I can't list/enable/disable modules for metricbeat with the given programs. The metricbeat version is at the current latest version of 7.6.

The output I recieve looks like this on all systems:

I have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and CentOS 7 in the latest patch level in my test environment.

Cheers
Detlef

How did you install metricbeat? Are the module files in your modules.d directory?

Hi Alex,

I've used the yum packages available for CentOS 7. The modules directory under /etc/metricbeat/modules.d contains the required files.
For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I've used the apt packages accordingly.

On both platforms the behavior is identical.

Cheers
Detlef

Alright, think I see what's happening. The packages install a script under /bin/metricbeat and the actual binary under /usr/share/metricbeat...

The script under /bin sets the paths properly. Do the commands work if you run /bin/metricbeat modules list ?

Hi Alex,

you fixed my issue. But I believe it is time to change the documentation accordingly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers
Detlef

Detlef,

What documentation are you referring to?

I read the documentation on https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/metricbeat/current/metricbeat-configuration.html. I read the line for Mac and Linux. I wasn't aware, that elastic extended the command stack in directory /bin. Reading this page carefully, you have stated, that you have metricbeat in the search path of the OS, if you used RPM or DEB packages to install metricbeat.
So, it is up to you to clarify on this. It isn't best best practice to have similar commands (here: metricbeat) with different behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.