Changed many index field to Keywords now cannot query in KQL

Hi I hope someone can help me. Apologies as it may be a stupid question and i am still learning.

Would anyone happen to have some simple guide or explanation they can point me to to explain why this is happening ?

I have following this type of record

"_type": "_doc",
  "_id": "49606120302139348740181899632196521286098133251673554946.0",
  "_version": 1,
  "_score": null,
  "_source": {
    "timestamp": "2020-04-30 10:48:25,244",
    "action": "OAuth",
    "unknown1": " 1234567890",
    "ipaddress": " 127.0.0.1 ",
    "unknown2": " ",
    "device": " pa_customer",
    "authenticationtype": " OAuth20",
    "hosttype": " localhost",
    "providertype": " AS",
    "result": " success",
    "typemfa": " ProductHoldingAFM2FA",
    "message": " ",
    "duration": " 2596"
  },
  "fields": {
    "timestamp": [
      "2020-04-30T10:48:25.244Z"
    ]
  },
  "sort": [
  ]
}

and i recently changed most fields as they are single words to "keyword" fields.

I can create a filter and that works but if i wanted to do a search in KQL command like
result: success

or
result:sucesss
i get nothing?

I would expect the search give me all records that have result as success. It worked before when these fields were set to text and not keyword but now that i want these fields as aggregatable to make piecharts etc it is not.

If I wanted to type a KQL command to give me all events with a specific field name value what would i need to type.

Apologies I am just getting really confused and I am trying to follow a kibana tutorial and commands dont seem to be working for me.

My index patterns in kibana show all relevant fields including result as searchable and aggregatable

Thank you in advance.

I am such a newb apologies ..... but i am here posting to correct myself but if anyone has any good links or tutorials to follow for this version of kibana i would really appreciate it.

Anyway i think the reason it was not working as I wasnt getting the terms exact so I had to search for

action:OAuth

not

action:oauth

I thought when it came to tokenizing they would go down to lowercase but i presume that is for text not for keyword now.

You are correct in that assumption. Hey, it's a good lesson to learn early.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.