Child spans not aligned properly with parent

Kibana version : 7.3.2

Elasticsearch version : 7.3.2

APM Server version : 7.3.2

APM Agent language and version : java 1.9.0

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? fresh install

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc. :-----No

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant) :

Steps to reproduce :

1. I have used open tracing bridge to create Spans in kibana
    2.I have many transactions and spans and child spans associated with it as well
    3.My kibana UI does not show justice to the parent child mapping . Eventhough a span is not a child span Kibana shows it as a child . How is the indentation of spans shown in Kibana

In the image child1 should be at the same level as child2. Why Is there an indentation for the child2. Both are the child spans of span named as Parent. Why are the shown at two different levels.
I was expecting child2 to be at the same level aschild1. Why have the child2 moved more towards the right making it look like its the child of the one above it , when its really not a child of the span directly above it

Also I checked the logs and noticed that the parent id of both child 1 and child 2 are same .

Note that this is a span timeline, which seems to describe exactly what you would expect, but you misread it :slight_smile:. In this view, each line contains exactly one span, so I think what you mean by "levels" is not how it is designed. You can go over the documentation for more details.

This graph shows a parent that started a child 1 span immediately when invoked, and after it was ended, it started a child 2. The parent seem to have ended right after child 2 ended. As expected, both children have the same parent ID.

I hope this makes sense. If this does not describe what you expect still, make sure your usage of the OpenTracing bridge reflects exactly what you want.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.