Creating spans using Elastic APM bridge

Kibana version : 7.3.2

Elasticsearch version : 7.3.2

APM Server version : 7.3.2

APM Agent language and version : java 1.9.0

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? fresh install

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc. :-----No

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant) :

Steps to reproduce :

I have created Spans using Elastic apm bridge. I have many parent child Spans. I would like to figure out if we can distinguish the spans based on the span type. I see that the APM bridge does not support any "span type". Any other way that I can figure out in Kibana or where we can specify extra data about the spans so that one can see more info about the span. I see that the label and tags(span.tag) are available in Elastic API but the tracing bridge does not have support for that.

basically if a span is of type "Rule" and other span is of type "Choice" . I can display the RULE span and Choice span , but I cannot figure out if its a type rule or choice . Any inputs on how to achieve this using APM bridge

Yes, that's possible. See also https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/apm/agent/java/current/opentracing-bridge.html#elastic-apm-tags

There are constants for these special tags in co.elastic.apm.opentracing.ElasticApmTags.

Thanks for the reply . The link that you shared is not supported by open tracing correct ? I have to use the open tracing package that you have provided correct ?

The co.elastic.apm.opentracing.ElasticApmTags class is Elastic APM specific and included in the co.elastic.apm:apm-opentracing artifact.

However, you can also just use the plain string to set the type. For example: span.setTag("type", "Rule");

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.