Coordinate map stopped working

I've been using Kibana's coordinate map every now and again and today I discovered that my coordinate map visualisation stopped* working.

When selecting Index Patterns it lists the "Geo" field with the type "geo_point". My mapping looks like this:

PUT /packets
{
 "mappings": {
  "packet": {
   "properties": {
    "IPAddress": {"type": "keyword"},
    "Country": {"type": "keyword"},
    "City": {"type": "keyword"},
    "Location": {"type": "geo_point"}
   }
  }
 }
}

Querying GET packets_mapping returns the following:

"Geo": {
              "lat": {
                "type": "long"
              },
              "lon": {
                "type": "long"
              }
            }
          },

When I create a Coordinate map visulisation I can select "Geohash" as aggregation and "Geo" as field. However, the map remains empty. (Changing the map type doesn't help either...)

*) While I'm fairly certain that my mapping/values have remained the same, I edited and reuploaded various parts so this might be a mapping related issue. But since the Kibana manual has the geo_point defined in the same way as I have I think this issue lies somewhere else.

Any help would be appriciated :slight_smile:

I realised a mistake I had made in the mapping/json files; so my issue might be related to this.

@Azulath I'm a bit confused, is your index called packets or packets_mapping? Are you using the field Location or Geo? Location is a geo_point field, but Geo is just an object field that happens to have two properties called lat and lon.

1 Like

Sorry for the very late replay and thanks for the answer. As mentioned in my previous post I sorted it out but to clarify your answer:

My index is called packets, while packets_mapping is my mapping for packets which I created like so:

PUT /packets
{
 "mappings": {
  "packet": {
       //´my mappings
   }
  }
 }
} 

And this was my mistake. I noticed it later and felt pretty stupid about it to be honest. Anyway, now everything works as it should. I'll mark your answer as solution as you were immediately on to it :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.