Copying saved objects from ES 5 to 7

I see there's a process to upgrade from 5.6 to 6.8 to 7.17, but I need to keep this 5 cluster running while I build out our new 7; I'd like to be able to copy over any newly created 5 analysis content.

I think trying to use the regular upgrading method to periodically copy objects would be like so:

1. reindex .kibana from the source 5.6 cluster to a temporary 6.8 cluster
  2. run Kibana 6.8 against the temporary 6.8 cluster to upgrade the saved objects
  3. run 6->7 upgrade assistant
  4. run Kibana 7.17 against the temporary 6.8 cluster to upgrade the saved objects
  5. export the saved objects and import them into the destination 7.17 cluster

Is there any way instead to copy objects out of the source 5.6 cluster and transform them then import them into the destination 7.17 cluster?

No there's not sorry.

:sob:
I courageously had a look at the contents of saved objects from 5 and 7 and ... yeah. I can see why.

Thanks for your reply, though, Mark.

Oh, did I get the process right for having the Upgrade Assistant do the work?

Yep, 100%!

Awesome, thanks!

To sum, for posterity:

There isn't any easy and programmable way to take saved objects from 5, transform them, then import them into 7. You have to go through the manual upgrade steps, which are:

1. upgrade .kibana to a single-type index on the source 5.6 cluster¹ to be compatible with 6.8
  2. reindex .kibana from the source 5.6 cluster to a temporary 6.8 cluster
  3. run Kibana 6.8 against the temporary 6.8 cluster to upgrade the saved objects
  4. run 6->7 upgrade assistant
  5. run Kibana 7.17 against the temporary 6.8 cluster to upgrade the saved objects
  6. export the saved objects and import them into the destination 7.17 cluster

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.