Curator delete_indices doesn't

Hi folks,

Please accept a pre-emptive apology for what might be a dumb, noob question...!

Elasticsearch 6.2
Curator 5.5

I'm trying to set up a simple curator job to clean up old indices. I've been playing around with curator_cli, and this seems to work perfectly:
curator_cli --ssl-no-validate --use_ssl --http_auth $ELASTICAUTH --host localhost --port 9200 show_indices --filter_list '[{"filtertype":"pattern","kind":"regex","value":"'^ros\.lostlogs\..*'"},{"filtertype":"age","source":"creation_date","unit":"days","unit_count":6,"direction":"older"}]'

This produces a series of warnings about the unverified https request and then this:

ros.lostlogs.30sec-20180602
ros.lostlogs.60sec-20180602
ros.lostlogs.fiftynine-20180601
ros.lostlogs.fiftynine-20180602
ros.lostlogs.ninetysecs-20180602
ros.lostlogs.oneeightysecs-20180602
ros.lostlogs.onetwentysecs-20180602
ros.lostlogs.sixtysecsasync-20180602

This also works if I choose delete_indices...

I'd really like to use curator, though, because of the greater flexibility offered by the action file. Here is my conf file:

---
client:
  hosts:
  port: 9200
  url_prefix:
  use_ssl: True
  certificate:
  client_cert:
  client_key:
  ssl_no_validate: True
  http_auth: $ELASTICAUTH
  timeout: 30
  master_only: False

logging:
  loglevel: DEBUG
  logfile:
  logformat: default
  blacklist: []

And here is my action file (the second action is intentionally disabled at this time):

---
actions:
  1:
    action: delete_indices
    description: Delete RoS indices where creation date is older than 30 days
    options:
      ignore_empty_list: False
      disable_action: False
    filters:
      - filtertype: pattern
        kind: regex
        value: '^ros\.lostlogs\..*'
      - filtertype: age
        source: creation_date
        direction: older
        unit: days
        unit_count: 6
  2:
    action: delete_indices
    description: Delete indices with %Y.%m.%d in the name where that date is older than 30 days
    options:
      ignore_empty_list: False
      disable_action: True
    filters:
      - filtertype: age
        source: name
        direction: older
        timestring: %Y.%m.%d
        unit: days
        unit_count: 30

Running the curator command produces this output:

curator --config ./curator.yml ./clean30dIndices.yml
2018-06-08 13:27:42,034 DEBUG                curator.cli                    run:108  Client and logging options validated.
2018-06-08 13:27:42,035 DEBUG                curator.cli                    run:112  default_timeout = 30
2018-06-08 13:27:42,035 DEBUG                curator.cli                    run:116  action_file: ./clean30dIndices.yml

But none of those indices are deleted (as proven by re-running the curator_cli command above).

I'm sure it's my error - can someone please help me find it?

Cheers - Adam...

It means that there's something about the YAML in your action file that Curator couldn't read/validate (not the content, the YAML formatting). I would hazard two possibilities:

1. SIngle-quote encapsulate your timestrings, including the description blocks (for those, single quoting the entire line would work).
  2. You've used a stray tab character somewhere

I'm working on a better way to report that there was a yaml parsing error, because this is happening too often.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.