Daily redefinition of index fields

Hi every body, I have been working in a custom index, the first time that I define this index the mapping takes the data types that I need, however , when a new day starts it redefine the fields of the index and puts string as a datatype instead the original datatypes that I had put before, what I'm missing?

This is the way I define the index:

curl -X PUT "localhost:9200/my_index-2018.06.14" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
  "mappings": {
    "myindex_log": {
      "properties": {
        "amount":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0" },
        "budget":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0"  },
        "cc":       { "type": "integer" },
        "creationTime": { "type": "text" },
        "fm":      { "type": "text" },
        "host":    { "type": "text" },
        "kpi":     { "type": "text" },
        "message": { "type": "text" },
        "mkt":     { "type": "text" },
        "price":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0" },
        "status":  { "type": "integer" },
        "success": { "type": "boolean" },
        "type":    { "type": "integer" }
      }
    }
  }
}
'

Can someone provide me some guidance?

Thank you.

It sounds like what you're looking for is index templates. You'd define your mappings and then set index_patterns to my_index-* or whatever your pattern is

Hello shanec.

Thank you very much for your help. Now what I've done is declare the index as first step, to do that y executed this line at Kibana 's Dev Tools:

PUT my_index-2018.06.18?pretty

The answer that I recived into the console is:

{
  "acknowledged": true,
  "shards_acknowledged": true,
  "index": "my_index-2018.06.18"
}

After that I declare my index template as follow:

curl -X PUT "localhost:9200/_template/my_index_template" -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
  "index_patterns": ["my_index-*"],
  "settings": {
    "number_of_shards": 1
  },
  "mappings": {
    "my_index": {
      "_source": {
        "enabled": true
      },
      "properties": {
        "amount":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0" },
        "budget":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0"  },
        "cc":       { "type": "integer" },
        "creationTime": { "type": "text" },
        "fm":      { "type": "text" },
        "host":    { "type": "text" },
        "kpi":     { "type": "text" },
        "message": { "type": "text" },
        "mkt":     { "type": "text" },
        "price":   { "type": "double", "null_value":"0" },
        "status":  { "type": "integer" },
        "success": { "type": "boolean" },
        "type":    { "type": "integer" }
      }
    }
  }
}
'

The answer I received from this transaction is:

{"acknowledged":true}

Then I checked the index with this sentence:

GET /_cat/indices?v

And this is the answer that I got:

health status index                           uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   .monitoring-kibana-6-2018.06.18 LDKVSWAKTC-B-6rjzpvCYw   1   0        133            0    132.6kb        132.6kb
yellow open   my_index-2018.06.18             AGrkXoFzRQimfX052GHIJw   5   1          0            0      1.1kb          1.1kb
green  open   .monitoring-es-6-2018.06.18     LBXmfnRkQceYUB6qgP_pyA   1   0       1436          306      1.1mb          1.1mb
green  open   .monitoring-es-6-2018.06.15     vA1yF6blQrSYpO8P52R94w   1   0      12825         3490      5.9mb          5.9mb
green  open   .monitoring-kibana-6-2018.06.15 NxgGQ5XjRkKSumGIrPvrlA   1   0       1832            0    557.1kb        557.1kb

After that I restart elasticsearch and kibana and then I start to send data from my app to the logs that logstash reads, however, Kibana does not show me any data at the discover screen and when I move to the management module and try to define a new index patterns; based on the index that I have defined before, this also does not show me any data.

They way that I ve configured my output in logstash config file is:

output {

elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
                     index => "my_index-%{YYYY.MM.dd}"
     }

stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

An example of the data that I send to the logs is:

2018-06-01 19:04:51.274 INFO 7267 --- [nio-8080-exec-3] c.a.b.api.controller.UserController : PERSISTED BID: Bid{id=1527897891207313, foreignId=null, amount=400, budget=null, price=745, exchangeSymbol=BTC, liquiditySymbol=EUR, tickerPrice=false, type=1, status=1, creationTime=Fri Jun 01 19:04:51 CDT 2018, updateTime=null, enabled=true, bidReductorList=null, bidParameterList=null, operationList=null, user=com.mycompany.myapp.persistence.vo.User[ id=1526579465576364 ]}

And the form how this data is transformed for elasticsearch is:

{
            "type" => "1",
            "host" => "user-laptop",
              "cc" => "BTC",
              "fm" => "EUR",
         "message" => "2018-06-01 19:04:51.274  INFO 7267 --- [nio-8080-exec-3] c.a.b.api.controller.UserController      : PERSISTED BID: Bid{id=1527897891207313, foreignId=null, amount=400, budget=null, price=745, exchangeSymbol=BTC, liquiditySymbol=MXN, tickerPrice=false, type=1, status=1, creationTime=Fri Jun 01 19:04:51 CDT 2018, updateTime=null, enabled=true, bidReductorList=null, bidParameterList=null, operationList=null, user=com.mycompany.myapp.persistence.vo.User[ id=1526579465576364 ]}",
    "creationTime" => "Fri Jun 01 19:04:51 CDT 2018",
             "mkt" => "false",
        "@version" => "1",
           "price" => "745",
          "status" => "1",
          "succes" => "true",
          "amount" => "400",
          "budget" => "0",
          "kpi" => "buy_limited",
      "@timestamp" => 2018-06-18T16:00:24.254Z
}

Is there any thing that I'm doing wrong or maybe I missed? Thank you very much.

You should define your index template before you create the index, not after. Once you've declared an index template, it will be inherited for future indices.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.