Disk partition size

I am new to ELK and I am looking to setup a CentOS server with 500GB of disk space. I found the data structure on the site but I don't see anything on how the file system should be partitioned before I install. I'm assuming I need most of the space for the data partition? Do I need to adjust my partitions?

Filesystem        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-slash
                   11G  3.4G  6.6G  34% /
tmpfs             4.2G     0  4.2G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1         500M  111M  363M  24% /boot
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-home
                  2.1G  7.3M  2.0G   1% /home
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-opt
                   11G  2.4M   10G   1% /opt
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-tmp
                  2.1G  201M  1.8G  11% /tmp
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-usr_local
                  1.1G  188M  783M  20% /usr/local
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-var
                   11G  582M  9.4G   6% /var
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-opt_IBM
                  4.1G  8.4M  3.9G   1% /opt/IBM
/dev/mapper/rootvg6-opt_IBM_ITM
                  4.1G  290M  3.6G   8% /opt/IBM/ITM
/dev/mapper/appvg-datalv
                  484G   74M  460G   1% /var/data
/dev/mapper/appvg-loglv
                   11G   30M  9.9G   1% /var/log

Assuming you're planning on configuring ES data directory to be somewhere under /var/data this partitioning looks reasonable. You'll want ample space for logs (a couple of gigabytes at least) which you also have.

On a side note, I think your partitioning is a bit excessive. It's e.g. not obvious why /opt/IBM and /opt/IBM/ITM need to be different partitions.

It seems you are on RHEL 6 and confuse directories with volume groups / partitions.

Just use the default partition scheme with two volume groups for / and /home, beside the system partitions for /boot and /dev/shm

Having 30G assigned to root volume for OS upgrades, I run Elasticsearch with Elasticsearch user es in /home/es using the rest of the disk space of a 1.6T RAID1 array. There is no need to set up extra volume groups or partitions for /opt, /tmp, /usr/local, /var, /opt/IBM, /opt/IBM/ITM, /var/data, or /var/log - this will make admin life much more complicated.

Will it cause me a lot of pain later to configure the data store under /var/data? I see now on this page that the default data store when installing from rpm would be /var/lib/elasticsearch. I would like to be able to upgrade easily later when the time comes so it seems like using default paths would probably be best for that. Should I just move the space from /var/data to /var/lib?

Will it cause me a lot of pain later to configure the data store under /var/data?

I don't know the specifics of the RPM package and whether a package upgrade changes /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch, but it probably doesn't. That's where you'll configure the data directory. So no, changing the data location shouldn't result in any problems.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.