I have a a few fundamental questions regarding doc values
- if doc values are enabled for a field, does it mean that there is no
inverted indexfor that field ? If the answer is yes, then does it slow down the search functionalities.
- Is enabling doc values the equivalent of storing the data in a "columnar structure" instead of an inverted index.
- Should doc values be enabled for all fields , or should it be enabled only for field which are used for aggregrations/sorting
For ex , if I have a representation of stock prices in the following layout
Symbol, Price, Quantity, MV,Rating,
AAPL, 400, 1000, 400000,A
MSFT, 200, 3000, 600000,B
I would normally use the Symbol and rating fields on the X-axis and aggregations on price ,quantity and MV fields on the Y axis. In this case
- Should all my fields be stored as doc values, or
- Should I store Price, Quantity and MV as doc values and the rest of the fields as field data