Docker SEBP/ELK not logging IP msgs

I'm new to the stack but struggling for 2 weeks now and not making any progress.

What I am trying to do is logging messages made by my IoT devices (EPS8266). I have the docker container running on the latest Ubuntu server sw, latest docker version, latest ELK container.
I'm running on ESXi or Virtual box (both available); I experience no differences between them.

I installed the SEBP/ELK docker image and it is running. Manually creating log-entries by:
/opt/logstash/bin/logstash -e 'input { stdin { } } output { elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost"] } }'
works well, I see the messages when I connect to KIBANA.

I'm confused by the mapping of this installation (/OPT) and am not able to find the right config/plugin maps.
But what I do is according to the LOGSTASH video, installing pluggin FINGERPRINT (not sure if I need it) and it validates and installs well:
/opt/logstash/bin/logstash-plugin install logstash-filter-fingerprint

And after that I give:
/opt/logstash/bin/logstash -e 'input { tcp { port => "5000" } } output { elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost"] } }'
and logstash starts succesful and is listening to 0.0.0.0:5000

But issuing a (on a linux mint netbook):
echo "Test message." | nc 192.168.10.112 5000
does absolutely nothing (replacing TCP by UDP doesnt work either).

Anyone knows what I am doing wrong?

I do have other questions about the maps used (not able to save the pipeline), but it should work like this, right?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.