Had a few queries on using mappings. Mostly noob questions. I checked
the docs, but I was unable to find the answers.
I noticed this behaviour while testing ES.
- On a particular index, I have 100 documents indexed.
- After this, I update the mapping ( updated include_in_all & store
for a few fields )
- After this, I try a search query for _all fields and also with the
- I noticed that my mapping update has not taken effect.
- Now, I re-index the 100 documents and my queries work with the new mapping.
Am I doing the thing wrong or is this how it is designed ? As in, if
mapping is updated, then all documents have to be re-indexed for the
new mapping to be applicable on them.
On a similar topic, does this apply to index configuration also.
Say I have an index with 2 shards and 2 replicas each. I have X
documents indexed. If I re-configure the index with 3 shards and 4
replicas, will things be taken care of automatically ? Or should I
re-index the documents again ?
PS: Elastic Search is really a wonderful tool