Dynamically filter for data in the visible map area - doesn't work

Hi there. I've had this trouble on multiple maps now, that the 'Dynamically filter for data in the visible map area' toggle does not work reliably. I've had it work on some maps, and this screenshot where it doesn't work is from a direct copy (save for changing the fields) of another map, where the Dynamic filter works.

More often than not though Dynamic visible map area filter does not work on first selection, nor even on refresh. I forget what combination of clicks/unclicks/toggles/untoggles has made it work for me in the past, but I remember the method is hacky, and can't possibly be the intended behavior.

Any ideas? Thanks!

sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you please provide more details?

• Is this behavior only happening in the top hits layer type?
  • What version of the stack are you running?
  • What do you mean by not working? Data is not refreshed? Missing data? Something different?

Hi! Thanks for the fast reply.
-No. It just happened now again when I attempted to make a similar map in basic 'Documents' type map.
-The data shown in the 'Layers' box (let's say they're lat-long pairs representing certain customer address types) is going well beyond the area is currently visible in the map. When the filter has worked previously, I would normally only see the legend displaying named, colored points for things inside the map area I'm currently looking at. When it isn't working properly (like now), it shows a mix of data points from all over anywhere at all, with seemingly no order.

Let's say I have a map of the US, and data points all over the country.

I then zoom only to Detroit, Michigan. In this 'broken' behavior, the 'Layers' box will show me color-coded and labeled data points from New York, Florida, Arizona, Chicago, and maybe some from Detroit. But many of them will simply be a grey color, which is the color mapped to 'Other' data points once it has run out of colors to assign to the data points.

Is that clearer? What do you think?

Here's an example from Germany. I've created points representing client locations, grouped into client named clusters. I have point data nation-wide, but am only zoomed in on the Cologne region.

However, the legend/Layers panel at the right is showing me named clusters from all over the country, even though I'm only zoomed to Cologne. Notice that it runs out of colors to assign -- this is because it has assigned these colors to locations/point cluster groups not even visible on the current map. I want these colors to be mapped only to cluster groups visible in the current map area, as the toggle name implies (and has sometimes done).

Thank you for the extended explanation.

The setting you need to play around is the toggle for Data mapping

By default, the Maps app gets the categories from the whole dataset so it can assign colors to consistent categories no matter where you are located. If you don't want this behavior, you can change it, but beware that then colors won't be stable across browsing.

Leaving here a recording on how this setting affects browsing.

Let us know if this helps.

100%, that helped. Thanks very much indeed. Precisely what I was looking for.