Elastic ignoring shard settings

Hi,

So, because I ended up with way, way too many shards on my 3 node cluster due to not really understanding the consequences of having too many shards and therefore accepting the default of 5, I took the decision to wipe out my indexes and start again.

The steps I have taken
Most of my Logstash confs end with the output looking similar to the below. Any that reference their own templates, also specify in said template that I only want 1 shard and 2 replicas.

output {
 if [type] == "fileserverlogs" {
    elasticsearch {
      hosts => ["elasticsearch-server:9200"]
      index => "fileserverlogs"
	  template => "C:\logstash\config\templates\default-template.json"
	  template_overwrite => false
    }
}
}

Within the C:\logstash\config\templates\default-template.json file, I have specified (amongst other things):

{
  "template" : "logstash-*",
  "version" : 60001,
  "settings" : {
    "index.refresh_interval" : "5s",
	"number_of_shards" : "1",
	"number_of_replicas" : "2"
  },

Equally, with my winlogbeat instances, I have the winlogbeat.yml set up with the following key lines:

#==================== Elasticsearch template setting ==========================

setup.template.settings:
  index.number_of_shards: 1

#----------------------------- Logstash output --------------------------------
output.logstash:
hosts: ["172.16.2.25:5516"]

I exported the winlogbeat template from the winlogbeat 6.2.1 as so:

PS> .\winlogbeat.exe export template --es.version 6.2.1 | Out-File -Encoding UTF8 winlogbeat.template.json

then pushed it to ES (omitting the version name as I don't want to have to update my winlogbeat YMLs on all my servers. Currently, they are set to use a template called "winlogbeat")

PS > Invoke-RestMethod -Method Put -ContentType "application/json" -InFile winlogbeat.template.json -Uri http://localhost:9200/_template/winlogbeat

I checked the template was successfully uploaded by using GET _template/ - This showed the "winlogbeat" template successfully uploaded alongside the kibana template.

Next I changed the default template on the Logstash server so that any confs that I used in the future with the standard logstash-template, would also be set to 1 shard. This too was confirmed after starting up LS service. Results shown below:

"winlogbeat": {
    "order": 1,
    "index_patterns": [
      "winlogbeat-*"
    ],
    "settings": {
      "index": {
        "mapping": {
          "total_fields": {
            "limit": "10000"
          }
        },
        "refresh_interval": "5s",
        "number_of_shards": "1",
        "number_of_replicas": "2"
      }
    },

=========

"logstash": {
        "order": 0,
        "version": 60001,
        "index_patterns": [
          "logstash-*"
        ],
        "settings": {
          "index": {
            "number_of_shards": "1",
            "number_of_replicas": "2",
            "refresh_interval": "5s"

I fired up Logstash again along with the winlogbeat instances. Data started flowing in again. I watched the shards. Each index STILL has the default 5 shards and 2 replicas.

I've obviously missed something. Where else in this chain to I need to specify that I only want one shard per index? They are daily indices so they don't get big. Split up in 5 parts makes them KB in size which is what caused my issues in the first place!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.