[Elastic Maps] Change overlay and link document source

Hey guys,
I just started with visualizing data in Kibana and Elastic Maps, so the two questions might seem trivial, but I didn't found any solution online yet.

1. Is there a way to change the overlay of the layer shown in the image bewlow to show a table of the data instead of the single view that you need to click through? I look for a way to list all results in one spot with an easy overview of all of them.

2. It's a similar question: is it possible to link a data source (in this case it's a text document) to the layer view on the map? So that when clicking on the link you are provided with the corresponding field in the indexed document?

As I said, I'm new to this, so all advice is very welcome. Thank you!

Best
Tim

Map view

hi @Stimmot, welcome to the Elastic forum!!

Is there a way to change the overlay of the layer shown in the image bewlow to show a table of the data instead of the single view that you need to click through? I look for a way to list all results in one spot with an easy overview of all of them.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way to change the tooltip to navigate by document to a table view. You can use an aggregated data source to see all your points together and aggregate metrics, though.

It's a similar question: is it possible to link a data source (in this case it's a text document) to the layer view on the map? So that when clicking on the link you are provided with the corresponding field in the indexed document?

Not sure to understand this, you want to open a new web page using a field from the tooltip? or from a different place in Kibana arrive to a single feature in Elastic Maps? The first one is doable using index pattern formatters or scripted fields, the second is not possible. Please clarify if I got wrong your issue.

Hey @jsanz, thank you for your response!

Unfortunately, there's no direct way to change the tooltip to navigate by document to a table view. You can use an aggregated data source to see all your points together and aggregate metrics, though.

Alright, I see. I already aggregated the relevant data in circle shapes, but it's a bit cumbersome to circle through the data, that's why I asked.

Not sure to understand this, you want to open a new web page using a field from the tooltip? or from a different place in Kibana arrive to a single feature in Elastic Maps? The first one is doable using index pattern formatters or scripted fields, the second is not possible. Please clarify if I got wrong your issue.

Exactly, I would like to open a new page from the tooltip. I think scripted fields sounds like a good solution - could you say a few words about how they work? I didn't find them yet in Kibana.

You need scripted field if you need to build a url based in document values, if you have the full url already in the field you just need to format it.

About field formatters, check first the index pattern main help page and then the string formatter doc.

If you have to build the URL, then in the Index Pattern you have to define a new Scripted Field, and use a bit of coding to set up your field.

See the minimal example of just adding the text to a fixed URL that searches on Wikipedia. Please refer to documentation for details on each input, but I think it's quite straight forward.

And you'd get this

Cool, thank you very much, I'll try this!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.